When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B6? Phantom?

-

Kelpie3

Finally riding a big boys bike
Does anyone know what headbadge would be on a B6 vs. a Phantom? I have an old, rusted, bike that looks like the Phantom, but it has a headbadge that is brass with a plane and train on it. I want to restore it, but need a set of fenders, rack, new rims, new crank, (no more chrome), pedals, bars and stem.

Basically all I have is the frame, locking springer fork, New Departure rear hub, front drum brake minus the internal parts, chainguard and seatpost. Is it even worth restoring?

I don't have a picture of it yet as it is still in the barn loft.

The B6s were made from 1946 thru 1949 with various headbadges. Schwinn still hadn't developed it's own dealership network so most of the bike's made at this time were sold thru hardware stores and tire shops. Just about any headbadge will be appropriate as long as the hole pattern jives. The Phantom line started in 1949 Thru 1959 and was a Schwinn marque bike. I'm not an expert but my guess is that you wouldn't find a Phantom without the name Arnold Schwinn and company somewhere on the headbadge. They used the Excelsior banner badge and the oval Schwinn badge. Your Planes,Trains and Automobiles badge has the same hole pattern as the Excelsior banner badge so it's possible that this was correct. A Phantom expert would have to help you on that one. Piecing a bike together is a very expensive way to build a bike, but you will get an education and you will develop an appreciation for your bike that no one else will ever understand. Do your research and and have fun. After all, that's what it's all about.

Back