When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B6 with Sturmey Archer hubs

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Commish1969

Look Ma, No Hands!
Recently acquired 1953 B6. Not uncommon I know, except maybe for the rear SA 3 speed with expander brake and front SA fore-brake. Both are laced to knurled S2’s. Is this an uncommon set up? A factory/dealer upgrade option? Thanks for any knowledge you have to share.

84733B7F-CAE3-4EC6-9EFD-E144BF006428.jpeg

E204EB00-E63A-4405-BADC-7EC966E5BB17.jpeg

3531E7B6-C3B8-4EC0-BC0E-098AA9AF5EBC.jpeg

8F24C5A2-8A70-4535-A8FD-CF26E7985D6E.jpeg

93E27B36-3B70-4447-986D-826428D3B056.jpeg

9AD614CA-6AB5-43B0-A55C-631C28A6401F.jpeg

0FA944BC-3152-46DF-8661-9A932682512E.jpeg

There was a $12.95 option for the ABC Sturmey Archer 3 speed expander and an option for the forebrake but no mention of the make. Pretty uncommon set up.

1599199725681.png

Same options in 1953 but the scan is pretty bad.

Last edited:
Wasn't Schwinn still making their own drum brake in 1953? I would have thought they would have at least used a Schwinn front brake. But they didn't make a 3 speed hub, so maybe it was a package deal. In any case, this is the first I've seen. Nice!
One thing I would do is replace that toggle switch with a thumb switch, I'm pretty sure the thumb switch was the standard for Sturmey-Archer by 1953.

Last edited:
Are the dates on the hubs also '53? They look like they have black hardware and drum sides, so that would be consistent with late 1940s or early 1950s production. It could very well be someone just wanted their bike set up this way. The extra gears are nice to have. The drum brakes ... take some getting used to. Plan your stops in advance.

Are the dates on the hubs also '53? They look like they have black hardware and drum sides, so that would be consistent with late 1940s or early 1950s production. It could very well be someone just wanted their bike set up this way. The extra gears are nice to have. The drum brakes ... take some getting used to. Plan your stops in advance.
It would be way to easy if the hubs date matched the frame date. But of course they don’t. Front has no markings and the rear has no date, just stamped “patent.” I did find a UK article regarding unstamped SA hubs which makes sense in my case

BA39B59F-DE19-4462-B3E2-A2D0650F80E4.jpeg

781FEA8D-AB9E-412F-97FF-5FA7559469EA.png

I tend to agree with that post you shared about undated hubs. Most of the of the undated hubs I've owned were from around the time of WWII. A couple were a bit later. It is unclear to me whether those later hubs had shells that were leftovers from earlier or if they continued producing shells that sometimes had no date.

The threaded driver was replaced with the splined in the 1950s. If you've got an undated hub with a threaded driver, then WWII era is right (including a year or two on either side of the war). I agree that if you have a splined driver and silver drum side on the hub, then it's a later hub from the 1950s. Your front hub with black hardware and side looks a little earlier than the back with silver side.

A short evolution of AW drivers from the threaded up through the 1970s stepped-type.

20170916_153446-jpg.jpg

I tend to agree with that post you shared about undated hubs. Most of the of the undated hubs I've owned were from around the time of WWII. A couple were a bit later. It is unclear to me whether those later hubs had shells that were leftovers from earlier or if they continued producing shells that sometimes had no date.

The threaded driver was replaced with the splined in the 1950s. If you've got an undated hub with a threaded driver, then WWII era is right (including a year or two on either side of the war). I agree that if you have a splined driver and silver drum side on the hub, then it's a later hub from the 1950s. Your front hub with black hardware and side looks a little earlier than the back with silver side.

A short evolution of AW drivers from the threaded up through the 1970s stepped-type.

View attachment 1260473
It does add up and I’m inclined to follow your logic. I have a threaded driver and along with the front black hardware it’s appearing that this wheelset is most likely not original equipment. Kind of a bummer but still a pretty cool uncommon set up. Will admit the older I get the more agreeable geared bikes are to ride the hills

I'm not saying we can say for sure it's a modification. But whether original or modification, I think the equipment is a nice improvement. The drum brakes are OK if they're adjusted and properly set up. They're not all that powerful, but working as a pair, they'll be alright. The gears are a huge help, especially if you go to a 22 tooth cog on the back. Originality is nice, but it's over-emphasized in the hobby. Here's an example - if you have a 1953 bike and in 1956, someone replaced the hubs, how is that any worse? The bike only existed for 3 years from the factory but has been 64 years as it stands. The history of that particular bike tends to favor the modified condition. I tend to think each bike has a certain story, and in some cases, the modification is absolutely part of the story. And the old Sturmey hubs are absolutely well-made.

Back