When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

B6 Year Confusion

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kramai88

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I’m doing a rehab on this B6. Serial number on the bottom bracket is H27440. I thought it was late 40’s early 50’s. Tried looking it up and couldn’t find the number. Thought ok must be pre 48. Pulled the crank and it is stamped 55. Parts on the bike seem to be original I suppose the crank could have been change. I’m just curious as to what year it could be. Thanks for any thought.

FD1D0616-81D6-4C1A-9E5D-96BD8FABA193.jpeg

911756CF-2311-42F6-8E2F-C8D004E75A65.jpeg

61A60ECA-95C6-4DD8-B9F5-861D063F0498.jpeg

That crank blows me away! Never had or seen a 50's Schwinn dated crank. If in fact that is the date of the crank, then it's been replaced.

There are two possibilities. 1. Schwinn did not stamp the preceeding 0 to meet the 6 digit format of the late 40's early 50's. H + 6 digits is 1951. 2. This is one of the early post war pieces that had the late prewar serial numbers that are said to include the H I J letters. I've seen the F and 5 numbers also and haven't figured that one out yet, but a real early DX has shown up with the F serial.

These items help in the dating process.
No tapered stand on that one?
Thin rear drop out material, or the later thicker material? It's been said that the thicker drop outs started in 1947. But then again, was the serial number ID'd correctly on those specimens.

Last edited:
That crank blows me away! Never had or seen a 50's Schwinn dated crank. If in fact that is the date of the crank, then it's been replaced.

There are two possibilities. 1. Schwinn did not stamp the preceeding 0 to meet the 6 digit format of the late 40's early 50's. H + 6 digits is 1951. 2. This is one of the early post war pieces that had the late prewar serial numbers that are said to include the H I J letters. I've seen the F and 5 numbers also and haven't figured that one out yet, but a real early DX has shown up with the F serial.

These items help in the dating process.
No tapered stand on that one?
Thin rear drop out material, or the later thicker material? It's been said that the thicker drop outs started in 1947. But then again, was the serial number ID'd correctly on those specimen
The stand is not tapered. I didn’t pay close attention to the drop outs I’ll compare them to other bikes. Thought there might be something odd about this one. Thanks for the reply.

Back