When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Badges, we don't need no stinkin badges!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Balloontyre

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Not sure this frame ever had a badge, no shadow of decal, or screw holes. Frame has no markings or numbers. Is this a familiar maker to anyone?
Thanks.

I don't know what it is, but I'd like to know. I have a fork with that style crown which is open on the bottom like the one on your bike. I don't think that there were a lot of companies making cotterless cranks in the 1890s.

check with Carlton, he helped me with a similar color/fancy trim bike of mine.

Not sure this frame ever had a badge, no shadow of decal, or screw holes. Frame has no markings or numbers. Is this a familiar maker to anyone?
Thanks.
I Have the same chain ring not the crank arms but if it helps it came from a prewar rollfast

Last edited:
WOW. what a beautiful step through! Gold filigree was prevalent on many high end bicycles around the late 1800's. Additionally, the large 1.25 tubing, the 5-star chainring and the drop shoulder nickeled fork was not proprietary to any manufacturer. There were a lot of jobbers and suppliers of bikes prior to the ABC Trust. That head tube collar suggests it had a one piece- non adjustable handlebar? If I were to take a wild guess, it could be a Hoffman or a Crosby?

Yes, fixed bars. Specific for the locking nut. The seat post has the same type of set up with the slotted stem.

I know

I believe that this is an 1897 Independent made by Rochester Cycle Company. I have one with the same original coloring and gold detail. It is a beautiful, well made bike. I am missing a part. Could you please send me a photo and dimensions of the metal expander nut in the seat post? Thanks. If you have any other questions about the bike, I am happy to answer.
Rob

Seat post expander

I believe that this is an 1897 Independent made by Rochester Cycle Company. I have one with the same original coloring and gold detail. It is a beautiful, well made bike. I am missing a part. Could you please send me a photo and dimensions of the metal expander nut in the seat post? Thanks. If you have any other questions about the bike, I am happy to answer.
Rob
Thank you for the info on the bike. Agreed, it's a well made bike.
here's the photos, looks to me 11/32" at height of barrel, 3/4" x 3/4" domed nut. Wheels not included in price.

Back