When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BAGGI "CHAMPION OLYMPIQUE ET DU MONDE"

-
An extra development which came on Veloretrocourse forum https://veloretrocourse.proboards.com/

I had said
"
The VITA chain was produced by a belgian brand called CPM, from the initial of their owners, Mr P&M Charbonnier.
It is not well known but in Belgium, we have had a very large cycling industry, mainly derived from the guns manufacturers and the related companies.
CPM commercialized (I cannot testify that they produced some or all of the followings) the VITA products, including chains, derailleurs, lamps and dynamos; they also sold the Hermesse cranks & chainring (for these I can testify that they were made in Liege by the Hermesse brothers); Duraleau rims and Selecta saddles and brakes.
"

Here a picture of the "group"
49686668467_6932b7c9c3_o.jpg

While this was published some times ago, now this captured the attention of another VRC member who demonstrated that the Vita products, while made in flanders, where actually produced on the other side of the borders.
A part of Flanders is included in the north of France.

This clarified why products from other companies are included on the "group" picture.
So Vita were produced 10 km left from the belgian-french border in the Hazebrouck city.
(the name is written to sound right in french. In Dutch it should be Hazenbroek. The sound would be written Hazebrook in english)

I have managed to contact the original owner (thankfully still living), and have verified that the bike is a least a 1936 (possibly 1935) model. It was purchased for him by his parents in 1936. One mystery solved, now just trying to determine if any parts had been replaced through the years. I should be receiving my rims in the next week or two so time to get the old wheels torn apart unless I get word that the rims are still original, then I will keep it that way and use the "woodys" on another early frame set I'm working on.

Take care,
Jesper

I have verified the year of this bike as 1936 (possibly 1935), was able to contact the owner (thankfully still alive) through the seller (a friend) who was given the bike in 1936 by his parents. Still trying to verify originality of the components.

Take care,
Jesper

I have received notification that the components are original, even the VITA chain; except: saddle, seat post, post binder bolt, and tires. I am very pleased with knowing this and hope this also helps others to date parts they might have on other bikes or just laying around. I am missing a couple of pieces on the idler pulley arm: the tension spring (see post #5 of left side BB view),and the small strap that passes under the pulley itself. The spring is only kept on when there is tension on the arm otherwise it can slip off with the arm just hanging loose when the chain is disengaged; missing when I got it so I'm trying to find one or fabricate one, but I don't know the amount of tension that was engineered into the spring if I make one myself or have one made for me.

-----

Thanks very much for keeping readers updated with your research on this fascinatin' machine.

Due diligence! :D

-----

Last edited:
I am still looking for that darn spring! Time to fabricate one since it is the only thing keeping this project from completion.

I have been recently working on some other stuff though so I will get them posted in the coming weeks/months for your enjoyment and edification. Just getting back into cycling mode after the ongoing insanity over the last year. At least I've been able to still get riding in safely.
Hope everyone is still taking due precautions; our hospital has just tightened the protocols again with the Florida ongoing outbreak.

Back