When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baines Whirlwind Flying Gate International TT Frame/Fork: English 1930s 1940s Blue 56

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bike Recyclery

Look Ma, No Hands!
For more pics, CLICK HERE

The Baines Whirlwind "Flying Gate" was made by the Baines Brothers (Reg & Willie) out of Bradford, England from 1935 to about 1952. The model name is officially "Whirlwind", but gained the nickname "Flying Gate" from the Flying Gate racing team that rode them. You've probably noticed the odd frame design, which shortens the wheelbase. Other bikes such as the Rigi Strada and Saxon Twin Tube (we have one for sale!) made the same shortening effect by splitting the seat tube. The goal was by shortening the wheelbase, you could make the frame stiffer. There were three models; the original VS37, the VS38 which lacked seatstays connecting the vertical seat tube, and the International TT, which features a longer 39.5 inch wheelbase more suited for road racing and derailleur gearing. In the 1970's Trevor Jarvis reproduced the Flying Gate for a few years in the late 1970's.

Frame Details

This International TT has the unique distinction of having rear-facing track dropouts! This frame does have a 39.5" wheelbase, which according to the catalog scans was only used on the International TT model. We're not sure why it has track dropouts. It also lacks any cable stops or fender mounts, which would be more consistent with a VS37. Perhaps a custom one-off model. The year of make is undetermined. It also features front fender eyelets. The Nervex lugs are finely cut and gorgeous with nice points. The headset is unknown, as I can't quite read the markings. It appears period correct.

It's unknown if this is original paint or not. It is definitely the original color many of these were painted, but I was told by a collector of antique bicycles that the transfers are a newer style than they would have used back then.

Size

Top tube: 56cm
Vertical seat tube: 51cm (c-c), 52.5cm (c-t)
Actual seat tube: 53cm (c-c), 55cm (c-t)
Wheelbase: 39.5"
Condition

Very good to great shape. The frame is straight, with no rust, cracks, bends, dents, etc. The only imperfection to the structural frame is the non-drive side of the top tube has a small spot where it's ever so slightly out of round. I didn't even notice it until I had the frame for a month. It reflects light at certain angles in the way a dent does, but it is not a dent. The tube is flat, and appears round, yet this quarter sized spot just doesn't feel right.

The paint is in nice shape with some small chips and imperfections. The decals are in great shape, except the headtube decal which has the top lamination layer peeling at the non-drive edge. The paint is nice and glossy and doesn't look beat up. The chips are definitely there, but they're isolated and don't ruin the asthetics of the frame. The only "ugly" part of the frame is the non-drive side of the top of the seat tube, which has large paint chips. Headset is smooth. No rust inside bb shell or seat tube.

Markings

Bottom of BB shell: Nervex 61 (degree sign) 64 (degree sign) D22 (small z or 2) E38

Ride on!

Justin
www.BikeRecyclery.com
[email protected]

IMG_5857_1200x800.JPG
IMG_5858_1200x800.JPG
IMG_5859_1200x800.JPG
IMG_5863_1200x800.JPG
IMG_5876_1200x800.JPG

IMG_5857_1200x800.JPG

IMG_5858_1200x800.JPG

IMG_5859_1200x800.JPG

IMG_5863_1200x800.JPG

IMG_5876_1200x800.JPG

This really doesn´t look like a Baines frame, so using those decals is a bit naughty. The lugs and detailing are too fancy for a Baines. It looks like a Trevor Jarvis ´gate and was therefore built after 1979.
(Source - I´m looking at my 1946 Baines ´gate right now).

I kind of thought the same thing as well. But, I remember the Bains had the seat stays
like whats on the blue bike. I'm sure it is an early Baines and not a TJ Cycles.

Here's my old Trevor Jarvis Flying Gate track >

I also had the only Stayer made by Trevor which I'll post as well >

yellow Flying Gate.jpg
L1050984.JPG
L1050979.JPG
L1050973.JPG

On every Baines I´ve seen (and please feel free to do a picture search), the thinner, forward seat stays attach to the side of the vertical tube. On TJs frames they are tucked in behind it. You´ll notice mine doesn´t even have a lug at the top of the vertical tube, as they were special castings and they started to run out. TJ frames always seem to have them though. Later on BAines ran out of BB lugs too, I am told. Trevor made various lug designs. The ones on the blue frame are certainly much too fancy for a Baines.
Just email TJ Cycles with the frame number. They´ll be able to tell you if they made it.
http://www.tjcycles.co.uk/

DSCF4748_zps9f6aa33c.jpg

DSCF4756_zps91fd95e2.jpg

2c3cd2fe-fd72-4aa4-ab63-57ed26084e71_zpsxh5kbcmf.jpg

Last edited:
I remember about 6 years ago, there was a '37 for sale in the U.K. I seem to remember
that it had the same lug work, stays etc. I always thought the earlier models were a little
more ornate than the later bikes. They are all cool either way and I wonder if this one
ever sold and if research was done.

Looks like you have a pretty nice Baines. Rarely seen here in the U.S. My yellow one
went to Japan and the Stayer went to Europe.

They´re not exactly common in the UK either. Pop up on ebay now and again, but usually smaller sized frames, so no good for me. The TJ frames are a little more common.
I´m only the second owner of this one, but it did need a good bit of fixing up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back