When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Balloon tire bike ratings

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Not sure how to answer. 1940’s Sears Elgin depends on who made them, Murray- top of the line.
Now I think my ‘77 Murray-built Free Spirit and ‘60’s space bikes might be top of the line. What about DPH Rollfast and M/W Hawthorne. Maybe just start ones own list of actuals.

There was a company in the 1920’s that sold various bike products under different brands or badges, and may have stated that they were different products, (not the same), but such conditions probably did not last very long.
I like the space bikes just fine.

Build Quality,toughest parts,best guarantee. Schwinn ran way ahead of everybody. At least Post WWII 'till they closed their Chicago factory. I've owned a couple of Schwinn 26"ers 1 Ballooner and 1 Middleweight with broken frame parts,1 kickstand and 1 chainstay so,they had issues too from time to time. Well,This was after they went under so I had to fix them myself. Murray had some cool looking bikes but my experience with them says they're flimsy at best and no guarantee. Dont get me wrong, I'd still love another Space Liner and '68 F1 Eliminator. They both hold some great childhood memories and one day I'll spring for both if I can find nice ones. So,Theres my $.02 on the top and bottom brands.
Figured someone would be pushing for schwinn. You sure do see a lot of them still around today so i would say that speaks to their quality. Thanks.

Everyone is going to speak to their favorite brand.

Each brand had: entry level, middle level, and high end for the most part.

Note that some/most of the mechanical parts that get a bike together were either very similar or the same brand.
Like most bikes use ND rear ends, or the same bearings and handlebars. Even pedals were exactly the same or just a More deluxe version. At the end of the day it all about the mechanical adjusting it correctly.

So then the next thing leaves you with, is which brand had the best geometry and materials that work for you.
Then the next thing is finding the designs that you like.

Last note, if you are collecting or futureproofing your investment. Just find the best version of popular models the get bought and sold frequently here. Odd balls have to be very rare and special and in demand.

Treat it like you are buying a hot rod or classic cars, common ones in the best original condition will most likely sell and get you money back. Like ‘32 Fords and ‘57 Chevies.

If you don’t want to go down the rabbit hole of collecting here. Buy one nice bike you would like to own and ride for a while.

Then save a lot of money and buy the best version of your dream collector bike. You don’t need everything else in between. It is just a waste of space,time and money. That is if you never use it for what it is, at least a bike.
That is why most of these guys, including me are buying and selling here and there. We need to move things, to buy things.

For me, I’m pretty much done. Just cleaning up and making a small focused couple bikes to keep and ride and get over it. If you try keep with the trends here you end up buying a bunch of stuff you don’t need. Who the hell needs 2-3 bedrooms full of bikes, not me.

Good luck.
Yeah i don't have room for a ton of bikes so getting one that i really like then working long term towards one i really love is good advice. It is a matter of preference too. I actually prefer arnette glasses to Oakley.

I think schwinn is entry level and high end at the same time. You can start off and get a nice middleweight with a tank for $300-$400. High end though theres the aerocycle, motorbikes, and the autocycles and etc. I’d say best built though is Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Colson, and Elgin at least from what i’ve rode so far.
Wow iver Johnson made some very cool looking bikes.

Brand name.................Builder......................Manufacturer , Whatever way you want to look at it . I think each may have some Gems in their product line , even at lower levels of quality . I believe that most bikes can be "Set Up " to safe and acceptable standards with not a whole lotta fussin'. Heck and like Abe said , You certainly can switch many parts between bikes . go beefier or stronger if your worried about it being "not solid enough". Purists may have a different view on that , but most of my bikes are not stock or original. ( I'm just not that lucky ) I like the variety , and the challenge of bringing a bike back to life , and hopefully it's a good rider when done. I will agree that if you do have a certain bike in mind, it's NEVER a bad idea to search out the best example you can find (And Afford ) . We all can get lucky.....................you just never know when it's gonna happen :eek:

IMG_20181208_151223797.jpg

I was thinking about this question from a new persons' perspective who wanted to get into this crazy bike thing. My advice would be to spend $3,500 on ONE really nice RARE bike not many have seen or even own. It should be original, but it should also have an extra high-quality rider wheelset that comes with it.
When not riding it for all to see, you could put the original wheelset back on it and stare at it in your home in original condition.

Back