When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bamboo Bicycle, info sought

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John D. Williams

Finally riding a big boys bike
I posted this in International Bicycles but only got one response, a reference to a bamboo-covered steel-tubed bike. This one has true bamboo construction for the main tubes (I drilled a very small test hole) held by heavy iron lugs. It has wood bracing, handlebars, rear rack, pedal blocks, and fenders. Other parts are wrapped with rattan (?). Aluminum rims say MINH NGOC 01 0350 827549. Tires say SAO VANG MADE IN VIETNAM, and Wikipedia says Sao Vang was formed in 1960. I have searched the web, but not a lot of info on this bicycle. I am restoring it for a bike charity and they were told it was from Vietnam. Anyone recognize the era, or the markings on the pedals, or know about these bikes? Thanks, John

DSCN7910.JPG

DSCN7911.JPG

DSCN7912.JPG

DSCN7913.JPG

DSCN7914.JPG

Last edited:
there was a TOC 90-95% wood bike that are worth $$$$, but this is probably 1980 vintage and wouldn't be worth my trouble to even research.
good luck if you do.

Great machine! Shows the ingenuity of people who are not as fortunate. The builder surely felt pride when it was completed. Would be interesting to see how it rode

Great machine! Shows the ingenuity of people who are not as fortunate. The builder surely felt pride when it was completed. Would be interesting to see how it rode
I agree, and intend to ride it before selling it. The handlebars, even with the bracing, seem to be its weak point.

Wondering why you think '80s, the rims?
Maybe 70's... yes, wheels, kickstand, brake levers.
also** the lighter wood (in frame center), the two ends probably need to be re-steamed and wrapped against the seat tube... think that where the ends go.

I think I saw these in the 70's.I think you have taken on a tough project in restoring it to safely be ridden.

Back