When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn-Find 1952 Schwinn Hornet value?

-
C note? What's that? I keep forgetting your not from me and your dad's generation.. Maybe if i said a "HUNDO" or so, that might have helped.. I really think you should just build this bike, Rusty bolts and all.. She's a BEAUTY....
Yeah, I'm young enough to not even remember when stuffed crust pizza was first invented (to me, it had always been here,) but I'm old enough to remember when the only mobile game you could play on a cellphone was "Snake." Funnily enough, I asked Dad if he knew what "worth a C note" meant, and even he didn't know, and he uses tons of phrases that I never hear among my age group! "Hundo," yeah I've heard that one. Normally though, I don't use much slang outside of the occasional movie/cartoon one-liner and synonyms for "cool," like "sick," "wicked," or "awesome."

If I can save any of the rusty bolts, I will, but I get the feeling not even PB Blaster and a torch will help that much here. This bike's got a good dose of rust in all the wrong places. That said, I'm starting to feel more and more like this bike's staying with me, and it's going to keep its paint and patina. I might clean up some of the surface rust with some rubbing compound and some WD-40, but other than that, it's going to retain most of its current appearance, just minus a few parts.

Yeah, I'm young enough to not even remember when stuffed crust pizza was first invented (to me, it had always been here,) but I'm old enough to remember when the only mobile game you could play on a cellphone was "Snake." Funnily enough, I asked Dad if he knew what "worth a C note" meant, and even he didn't know, and he uses tons of phrases that I never hear among my age group! "Hundo," yeah I've heard that one. Normally though, I don't use much slang outside of the occasional movie/cartoon one-liner and synonyms for "cool," like "sick," "wicked," or "awesome."

If I can save any of the rusty bolts, I will, but I get the feeling not even PB Blaster and a torch will help that much here. This bike's got a good dose of rust in all the wrong places. That said, I'm starting to feel more and more like this bike's staying with me, and it's going to keep its paint and patina. I might clean up some of the surface rust with some rubbing compound and some WD-40, but other than that, it's going to retain most of its current appearance, just minus a few parts.
I use a little bit of Marvels Mystery oil on a rag and it really makes the REDS pop on these old Schwinn's.. Good luck and RideOn.. Razin..

It’s still worth $300 at least, not a c note or a hondo….
Okay, consider me confused. One guy on RRB said it could be worth $80-$150 depending on how much he would have to do to make the bike rideable, another guy here said it's worth $100, and you (plus the five other people who liked your comment) said it's worth $300. I don't know if I'd want to even attempt disassembling this bike any further if it's worth $300, as most of the nuts and bolts are pretty far gone on this bike, and I have no idea how much of the total value those parts make up.

I really want to do some mockups on this bike because I may have found a way to build this bike without removing the paint, but there's still that temptation to sell or trade this bike for one or more identical guilt-free canvases. Only problem is that if I choose to sell or trade this bike, there's currently no way I can ship it, as I can't disassemble it with most everything rusted stuck. I'd have to do everything locally, which isn't as easy for me, since I'm probably one of the few Cabers/Rat Rod Bikers out in Tulsa, Oklahoma, which is a long drive away from all the bicycle hot spots everyone else seems to be near. There aren't a ton of bicycle swap meets anywhere near where I live either, and most of those swap meets are in either Springfield or Kansas City, Missouri.

So, yeah. I'm not sure what to do, or what this bike's actually worth. So I'm basically back to square one.

Some people hope you’ll offer it for sale super cheap so they can swoop it up! If bolts break, theres lots more to replace with! Hardware is cheap , don’t feel bad tearing it down!

Back