When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Barn Find Batavus Flying Dutchman

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Gimletbikes

Finally riding a big boys bike
Looking for some ID help here. This Flying Dutchman is really nothing special, but I like it. It's a utilitarian Dutch ladies townie. It has been languishing in a friend's barn for years - it caught my eye years before i ever thought about refurbishing an old rusty bike. Things about it that I like are: it was free, deep blue/green color, stainless 28" rims, integral wheel lock, the rat trap rack, full chain case, the dynamo still works. I hope the rear hub is a 2-speed coaster, but I can't tell yet. I would like to pin down a year of mfg, but can't find a serial number anywhere. Any input appreciated!

PXL_20220610_195825760.jpg

PXL_20220610_205004228.jpg

PXL_20220610_205019110.jpg

PXL_20220610_205028730.jpg

PXL_20220610_205112428.jpg

PXL_20220610_205132590.jpg

PXL_20220610_205207305.jpg

PXL_20220610_205308298.jpg

PXL_20220610_205403178.jpg

PXL_20220610_205415768.jpg

PXL_20220610_205712515.jpg

PXL_20220610_210322361.jpg

PXL_20220610_211304037.jpg

-----

the generic term for this sort of machine in The Netherlands is an "oma fiets" or "granny bike" in english

btw -

possible that the machine's Weinmann Symetric brake calipers may be late enough to carry a date marking on the backside of the caliper. if present, it is in the form of a clockface symbol -

---

the "IC" marking seen on the machine in a couple spots stands for Intercycle, an umbrella entitiy formed in 1970 following the Batavus acquisition of Magneet and the German Phoenix-Fongers conglomerate.

this paragraph from forum member non-fixie encapsulates the early decades of Batavus history -

"Batavus is “the other big Dutch brand”. The company history starts in 1904 with Andries Gaastra opening a shop in Heerenveen that sells clocks and sewing machines. In 1907 he starts importing German ‘Presto’ bicycles, followed by his own bicycle assembly under the brand name ‘Batavus’.
In 1917 he buys the Phoenix bicycle factory, sells the Phoenix brand, and keeps the factory for Batavus production. Until the end of WWII Batavus remains a rather small local operation, but Andries’ son Gerrit is a true entrepreneur and when he takes over the management of the company in the early fifties, he invests in two growing market segments: lightweight sports bicycles and mopeds."

-----

Last edited:
-----

wrt possible brake caliper date marking -

this is something which came in relatively late

do not know a specific year for its beginning

checked over at VB for the black label edition of the Symetric caliper and a launch date of "mid-1970's" is given

the pair of calipers employed to illustrate the listing do not carry the date marking

1655096709252.png

1655096743088.png

---

other spots to check for possible date marking -

shell of rear hub

barrel of front hub

markings on wheel rim

portion of handlebar stem down inside steerer

handlebar end beneath handgrip

markings on steerer

markings on back side of crank arms

marking on cantle plate of saddle

markings on reflectors

one additional location Weinmann sometimes places a date marking is the portion of the brake lever proper which is inside the brake lever housing

-----

Last edited:
It has the right brakes, but no clockface. Stamped with '813' on both arms. So the fact that it is the weinmann symmetric comfirms that it could be as old as mid '70s, yeah? Will continue down the list. Haven't disassembled very much due to backlog of work.

PXL_20220613_235637834.jpg

PXL_20220613_235648454.jpg

Man, @juvela coming through again with the knowledge!

I really like this bike. I don't see to many of these here in the US, and have never seen one (for sale, or otherwise) here in the northeast. While there may not be much of an enthusiast following for Omafiets around here, they are still way cool. Looks like this one will clean up very nicely with an OA bath, as well. Stainless rims are a huge plus!

I would guess Your bike was brought here by a Military Family......returning home from a European assignment.....
Definitely possible. The official story (that won't really get to the root of anything) is that my friend, who happens to be the kid of Dutch immigrants, found it in the bushes at a friends house 20 years ago. His being Dutch doesnt do much for this story, except that it's probably why a bike lettered Flying Dutchman caught his eye. According to him the friend always had a way of coming into weird possessions - he owned a local record store. The fellow gave it to him because he needed a bike. He kept it & rode it until they had a kid. It's been parked ever since. That kid just started college this year.

-----

forgot to mention earlier -

the bicycle's wheel/tyre size will be indicative as to whether it is a domestic Nederland market product or one done for export...to the anglophone world for example

-----

Hmm. I did snag a photo of the stamping in the rim. The sidewalls of the tires are very crumbly - havent found any legible text yet

PXL_20220610_211008229.jpg

Back