When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

barn find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I did a double-take when I saw this photo! The bike is a Monark sourced JCH to a design I had not seen before. The earlier Monark/JCH bikes are generally familiar and turn up fairly often in the early fifties exhaust manifold decal variation. This bike is apparently a later version specially produced to add the under-tank fins to the bike. The tank itself is the standard Monark Rocket tank, not the Murray unit, but to fit the fins the frame was modified with a front drop added to the under-tank bar. This drop brings the frame in line with the deluxe tanked Monarks of the period except it is different, The monark version has an under-tank bar with a different curve than what was required to facilitate this build. Altogether a unique variation that leads me to wonder how many of these frames were made and how many have frustrated would-be restorers when it came time to find a tank. The addition of the JCH/Murray-Ohio springer probably never happened on the originals being from separate factories. If they had produced a springer one wonders if they would have used a Monark unit?

here is the one I used to have, I added the fork it originally had the same fork on yours
DSC01038-1.jpg

I did a double-take when I saw this photo! The bike is a Monark sourced JCH to a design I had not seen before. The earlier Monark/JCH bikes are generally familiar and turn up fairly often in the early fifties exhaust manifold decal variation. This bike is apparently a later version specially produced to add the under-tank fins to the bike. The tank itself is the standard Monark Rocket tank, not the Murray unit, but to fit the fins the frame was modified with a front drop added to the under-tank bar. This drop brings the frame in line with the deluxe tanked Monarks of the period except it is different, The monark version has an under-tank bar with a different curve than what was required to facilitate this build. Altogether a unique variation that leads me to wonder how many of these frames were made and how many have frustrated would-be restorers when it came time to find a tank. The addition of the JCH/Murray-Ohio springer probably never happened on the originals being from separate factories. If they had produced a springer one wonders if they would have used a Monark unit?

Hmm, if I understand you right? I have a tank just like this one without a fin under the tank. So it's a Murray Built bike? I gotta dig up my photos to find this bike.

Hmm, if I understand you right? I have a tank just like this one without a fin under the tank. So it's a Murray Built bike? I gotta dig up my photos to find this bike.

No, not necessarily it could be a Murray built bike, or a Monark built bike...or from one of several other manufacturers that fed Sears.

Most of the JCH bikes are from Murray-Ohio and those sourced from other manufacturers were often made to look like the M-O bikes as closely as was feasible. To make this bike, Monark had to make a frame specific to this built to incorporate the added lower tank fins. Monark's more standard JCH offering used the same tank with out the add-on fins and was able to get by being built on the standard Monark Rocket frame. That Monark/JCH is reasonably common but still rare compared to the standard M-O offering.

Clear as mud, right?

Nooooooo!

... It would look Sooo cool in a rustic restaurant hanging in the rafters.....
Man, don't drag this out of a barn, then stick it back inside some rafters. Ride that thang! Nice bike, deserves some pavement/gravel/dirt time.

Man, don't drag this out of a barn, then stick it back inside some rafters. Ride that thang! Nice bike, deserves some pavement/gravel/dirt time.

Amen tailhole completely agree, I had the same thought when I read that comment. Please get it back on the road or get it to someone who will. Every time I see a bike in the rafters in a restaurant or pub I cringe thinking what a waste.....

Amen tailhole completely agree, I had the same thought when I read that comment. Please get it back on the road or get it to someone who will. Every time I see a bike in the rafters in a restaurant or pub I cringe thinking what a waste.....

That Is very true. I said that over a year ago though. Times have changed! Haha it was being ridden for a while, but the rear wheel went flat :( I might get a patching set. Those tubes have a lot of patches already hahaha. Or I might find a new tire if it isn't too pricey.

I love riding it. Bit is is just soo darn heavy!!!!

Back