When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Basket Case Raleigh SUPERBE...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I just picked this one up last night off of Craigslist here on Long Island. The seller, a very nice guy, had been listing the bike at $250...then $200. With only a few photos, I emailed him and told him to look at the rear hub to determine the date, which he did, and found it to be September, 1970. He thanked me and that was that.

A few days later I emailed him back to say that given the condition of the photos he showed, he was off on the price. Missing the correct seat and a grip...no key...not sure if the Dynohub worked or even if it went through the gears. Paint and chrome, of course, was obvious to him.
He told me it had been given to him about 15 years ago from a friend with a terminal illness, and although he never rode it, he kept it out of friendship. So years after being kept in a damp garage, it languished untouched, and turned into its present state. He had no idea as to value, but took a shot, hoping someone would rescue it as he couldn't bare to send it to the scrap heap. When I emailed him with some of my Raleigh's, he said that he was hoping someone like me would get the bike and do something with it. Over the phone he even mentioned just giving it away, but wanted me to come take a look at it. I agreed, took a 45 minute ride and brought it home. He was happy it wasn't going to a landfill, and I offered him at least $20 (good for the two pumps at least), which he said to me "Are you sure?" knowing what I was in for to bring it back to life.

What you see in the photos is what I'll be starting with. I have extra fenders, saddle, etc. so I hope all works out. Oh...the Dynohub works! Spun the front wheel and on came the light. Hopefully I'll be as lucky with shifting and some of the paint and chrome. Time will tell! ;)

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4195.jpg

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4198.jpg

IMG_4199.jpg

IMG_4203.jpg

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

IMG_4209.jpg

IMG_4210.jpg

IMG_4214.jpg

IMG_4215.jpg

IMG_4217.jpg

-----

Thanks for posting; looks like you've really got your work cut out for you this time!

Question for the wetlands avian mavens -

In looking at a Haden catalogue from the mid-1950's the other day noticed that they were a fabricator of tubular crowns. Were they what was employted by TI or did they use something from another manufacturer?

Did Haden produce the special version with the lock as well? It was not illustrated in the catalogue I viewed.

Thanks for any information. ;)

-----

i think you did fantastic for $20... i wld have have paid $50. def will come back to life. tht is just dirt and some surface rust.

question - why is there 2 pumps? a backup? :)

i think you did fantastic for $20... i wld have have paid $50. def will come back to life. tht is just dirt and some surface rust.

question - why is there 2 pumps? a backup? :)

The one pump is the original Raleigh...the other is a very nice SILCA IMPERO pump made in Italy. As to why the two? Beats me...:tonguewink:

I started cleaning this already, and some of the paint and chrome are coming back very nicely, thanks to WD-40 and 0000 steel wool and a brass brush...all used ever so gently!!!. Polishing and waxing should really do the trick when I get to that point.
I have a rear fender for it and a correct saddle for when the time comes, but that will be quite a while. Disassembly will take place shortly, so that will give a better indication as to what I'm really in for.

Last edited:
I figured out why there were two holes in the rear fender in that spot. Look closely at my first photo...one of the fender braces is missing! How the heck someone removed it is beyond me, but the vacant holes allowed water/dampness to remain and begin the rotting process.

Back