When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batavus Pro

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sbrooksco

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought this Batavus Pro in 1986, used, full Campy Athena(I think), sew ups. Columbus tubing throughout. A sticker indicates that it is a World Championship model. I know there was a fire at the production facility in the Netherlands too, but that is the extent of its known history.
It was a quick handling climber and reliable workhorse. I rode it all over north GA.
Thanks for your interest.

2B9EAF7A-35DA-4C85-B646-6DDA231DC128.jpeg

2DEA8AED-5B93-4D16-85E2-AC87B218A44B.jpeg

CB466D24-BA24-4BAF-9AF9-8045DFEC00A9.jpeg

AA92D19C-2ACC-4744-ADB1-A69FE0451BFC.jpeg

These are nice bikes. A direct competitor of the Gazelle Champion Mondial, and probably developed for that very reason, but it never became as popular. A bit of a sleeper. You could specify whether you wanted Reynolds or Columbus.

Batavus does have a bit of racing history. It sponsored the Dutch racing union, where the ladies were particularly successful. "The world's fastest women":

1k0.jpg

And in the sixties there was the Batavus-Televizier pro team:

Televizierploeg_tijdens_een_oefenrit.jpg

BTW, besides the one I posted in the other thread, which is a bit small for me, I have another '84 which fits me better:

1k0.jpg

These are nice bikes. A direct competitor of the Gazelle Champion Mondial, and probably developed for that very reason, but it never became as popular. A bit of a sleeper. You could specify whether you wanted Reynolds or Columbus.

Batavus does have a bit of racing history. It sponsored the Dutch racing union, where the ladies were particularly successful. "The world's fastest women":

View attachment 1311951

And in the sixties there was the Batavus-Televizier pro team:

View attachment 1311947

BTW, besides the one I posted in the other thread, which is a bit small for me, I have another '84 which fits me better:

View attachment 1311952
I’ve seen that ad sometime in the past. Your second Batavus is period perfect though I got rid of those brake cables long ago. Very nice. That team! Using center pull brakes! Seems quaint. Maybe that’s all their was.

Until Campagnolo introduced their brakes, in the late sixties, MAFAC was widely considered to be the best available. Except by the Italians, of course, who would use Universal centerpulls.

As late as 1977 the Tour de France was won with MAFAC centerpulls. By a Frenchman, of course. :)

1977 Thevenet - 07.jpg

Great photo of Bernard! And not really that long ago. In the 1980s, I worked at the Bike Rack bicycles shop in Jackson, MS. We sold more Peugeots than any store in the southeast. At the time, I knew they were special with their high quality and family history. I was fortunate to sell and ride them. Nothing like Peugeot now.

About Batavus, it seems that frame production was done in-house until 2001, after which it was outsourced.

Back