When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB bearing cup removal

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Ryan B

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've rebuilt quite a few bikes but never had to remove a BB bearing cup before. Are there any tricks to getting the cups out? I tried searching on here and couldn't find anything I assume just knock them out from the inside but I don't want to damage them either. Thanks in advance.

Knock them out from the inside with a piece of wood, like a 2" x2" so you don't dent them. Hammer the wood with regular hammer.

Usually you can just tap them out with the bike still in the stand, but I had a Murray built Elgin bike that I literally gave up on. I'm sure if I had gotten creative I could of gotten them out but I didn't need them that bad.

I use a wooden dowel and a hammer. Just smack em out from the inside. Usually you have to hit them a coupla times on opposite sides if they're stuck in there.

To install them, turn the frame on it's side, press the cups in by hand so they stick, then with a flat surface on the bottom and a block of wood on the top, hammer on the block of wood in a circle till they're seated.

Or, buy a bb press tool.

Is a 73 Schwinn suburban bearing cup pressed in?

Yes it is. I use a 1/2" dia. steel rod to tap them out. Tap it like a lug nut torque, left, right, top and then bottom. Repeat until it pops out. Light taps with a metal rod will shock it more than using a piece of wood. I know a few who used a long 1/2" ratchet extension.

I beat it pretty hard with a piece of wood and a hammer with no success at all
I have seen some difficult ones, but they always give. They may be rusted so maybe try soaking some carb or brake cleaner for a while then back
to tap tap a tap. at some point they will give.

Back