When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bearing cone B.B. restoration?

-

Ed Minas

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I am so close to being able to ride my 1911 Iver, but the B.B. bearing cone is badly pitted and is missing a few chunks. So what have other cabers done in a situation like this?

Has any body had any luck with repairing with metal spraying and then machining? Brazing then machining?

All suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Ed ... how about some close-up fotos of the bearing.
Could be a CABEr has something that could be used.

Alternatively ... these are some of the consideration
points you and a tool-maker will need to process ......

Type of carbon steel that is appropriate, and a heat-treating
process (annealing, hardening, tempering) appropriate
to the type of steel ... and within that category -- an approp-
riate tempering level that will leave the steel at a hardness
that is lacking in brittleness ... and, at the same time, absent
of softness -- hopefully matching the hardness of the ball-
bearings.

From my own experience, I would have made that cone out
of JB Weld, then, chuck it in a lathe ... but I started watching
Forged In Fire on the History Channel.

Am not trying to diminish you enthusiasm ... I believe a remake
of your cone is do-able.

Go visit a local machine-shop.

...... patric

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all the input it is very helpful. Unfortunately I gave the piece to a friend who was going to take to his favorite machinist so I can’t post a picture. I haven’t heard anything yet but as soon as I do I will post a response and post a picture.

Thanks once again for all the input. Here is a picture of the BB bearing cone I need to either find or have machined. It is the side that locks the spocket gear against the crank arm and is for a 1911 Iver Johnson. A 1913 and later will not work as the recess is too deep.
407242C1-3FEC-4820-B48D-5604CB3083AF.jpeg

I agree with the above unless you are going to ride across the USA or break a land speed record that race is fine -you just might have to replace the ball bearings every 1,000 miles instead of every 5,000 ----My 1892 Victor BB is about the same as what you showed no grinding or clicking sounds yet after about 300 miles

I was hoping to help out Ed with an Iver BB cone but to my surprise, the one he sent me was different than anything I have. #1 and #3 are mine, #2 is Ed's. The base of the cone on #1 and #2 are the same, but the base on #3 is much thicker. #1 and #3 have threads in the center part of the cone, #2 has threads in a recessed area on the rear of the cone. I tried , in the last pic of the single cone, to show the recessed area of Ed's cone that contains the threads. . Maybe someone can help him with the correct part using these pics.......................Pete in Fitchburg

IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG

Back