When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'Bearing' On My mind!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Randy J.

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey folks,

I was cleaning the front wheel bearings on my wife's Spaceliner. After applying the new grease I started to reassemble the axle. As I picked up one of the clean bearings to put it in place, one of the balls popped out, bounced off the wheel rim in my lap and fell through a crack in the deck floor. Despite a lot of looking I did not find it. I'm sure anyone who has worked on an old bike is familiar with these bearings. The lost ball is slightly larger than a BB. How would you recommend fixing this? I have some ideas but I'd rather know the correct way.

Thanks!
Randy

Your LBS should have a selection of loose bearings. Take one from the hub with you for an example and they should be able to help you out.

Buy a complete new retainer with bearings, they are not that expensive. On the back side of the retainer there is a number stamped denoting size.

Thanks! I discovered two things today: #1 - We do indeed have a local bicycle shop, and #2 - I felt really dumb after searching for a half hour for that ball when I found out they were all of 2-cents each. :o I just assumed that anything for a 50 year-old bike would be expensive if available at all. Actually, the guy gave me 3 of the balls in case this happens again - no charge. Kunzog... thanks for the tip on the stamped number. I took the old bearing in with me and he didn't have one with a similar retainer, so that's why I just replaced the missing ball this time. But I'm sure complete bearings are still available.

Randy

Back