When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beautiful all chrome men’s “Spaceliner” Manufacturer???

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Schwinn? Murray? Info wanted on who mfg’d it, value, restoration thoughts?

• Murray

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Schwinn

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Boardwalk Biker:
Like GTs58 says, you've got a 1962 or 1963 Sears J.C. Higgins Flightliner (not a Spaceliner, which appeared in 1964). It's missing the twin headlight tank (red) and rear carrier (also red). Original tires were 26 X 1.75 whitewalls, which means it's a middleweight bike (check out the CAVE forum on that topic). Original saddle was black with white piping and chrome rail. Which boardwalk do you ride? I'm in north Jersey.
Have fun, Andy
Ocean City NJ-home sweet home.
thank you for sharing your knowledge with me...on training wheels and learning a lot!

Just checked this out. AWESOME!
Thank you
How fab will that bike ad in the old Sears Wish book be printed and framed in my den.
Love it!
G’morning Mr Goodman
I took your tip and will be busy stripping the clear coat and polishing it with Turtle Wax.
I like the seat color-sort of a pale salmon and looks nice with the chrome. Thanks for the great advice.
I’m going to try and find the “tank light”
And flat rear wheel attachment.

Boardwalk:
See attached pics of bits of my 1960 Flightliner that would be similar to those on your 1962-63. The tank is the same except yours would be red in lieu of white. The rear rack is similar except yours would have reflectors on the back. The disassembled saddle in the pic is stock, which is covered with black leatherette with white piping. Saddle on the bike is not stock. Note that In addition, your saddle would have a rear rail. For additional info, see GTs58's catalog attachment above.
Boardwalks are good because there are no hills, but sometimes there are nasty headwinds.
Smooth riding, Andy

IMG_0427.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG

Boardwalk:
See attached pics of bits of my 1960 Flightliner that would be similar to those on your 1962-63. The tank is the same except yours would be red in lieu of white. The rear rack is similar except yours would have reflectors on the back. The disassembled saddle in the pic is stock, which is covered with black leatherette with white piping. Saddle on the bike is not stock. Note that In addition, your saddle would have a rear rail. For additional info, see GTs58's catalog attachment above.
Boardwalks are good because there are no hills, but sometimes there are nasty headwinds.
Smooth riding, Andy

View attachment 807066 View attachment 807067 View attachment 807068
WOW - that bike is epic. Could’ve been a prop from the old Andy Griffith show - absolutely awesome! Boardwalk is my favorite and really only place I ride a bike
Savoring the sweet salt air and breezes off the ocean in early morning before the bikes are banned for the morning as pedestrians and beach traffic begin to flood the boards.
The sound of the bike on the boards is magic-I love a slow “ride and glide” down for donuts at Browns Donut shop just beyond the start of the boardwalk past First street and Corinthian street. Your bike is fabulous-

WOW - that bike is epic. Could’ve been a prop from the old Andy Griffith show - absolutely awesome! Boardwalk is my favorite and really only place I ride a bike
Savoring the sweet salt air and breezes off the ocean in early morning before the bikes are banned for the morning as pedestrians and beach traffic begin to flood the boards.
The sound of the bike on the boards is magic-I love a slow “ride and glide” down for donuts at Browns Donut shop just beyond the start of the boardwalk past First street and Corinthian street. Your bike is fabulous-
That's cool! I grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and that's where I bought my 1st old bike, a '57 Schwinn Corvette, at a garage sale, for $2.50, in 1980, when I was 9. Family vacationed at Beach Haven, stayed at an inn, which had a '50s Schwinn Starlet or Hollywood, which they'd let me ride. Once white and blue, it was orange with heavy rust, but I thought it was the coolest bike ever, having a tank with working horn! Even though it was a girl's bike.

That's cool! I grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and that's where I bought my 1st old bike, a '57 Schwinn Corvette, at a garage sale, for $2.50, in 1980, when I was 9. Family vacationed at Beach Haven, stayed at an inn, which had a '50s Schwinn Starlet or Hollywood, which they'd let me ride. Once white and blue, it was orange with heavy rust, but I thought it was the coolest bike ever, having a tank with working horn! Even though it was a girl's bike.
Magic...these old bikes bubble up so many wonderful memories.

Hi vintage bike experts
I’m looking for information on what company manufactured this Spaceliner Chrome Classic mid century bike. Any ideas on value? Restoration advice? I’ve been told Murray mfg’d this bike for Sears; others say no, it was Schwinn who produced this wonderful all chrome men’s bike. Looking for information. The seat is a ladies Troxel and has a chrome bar edgingvthe rear of the seat. Aside from beings ladies seat on a mans bike...I’m looking for expert feedback from you serious collectors. It has some minor rust-any recipes to correct that problem easily? Thank you.
It will look great in the OCNJ boardwalk! It’s awesome.

View attachment 805393

View attachment 805395
It's definitely Murray built, as others have said, but if you want to verify exactly what it is you will need to post a pic of the serial number (on the rear dropout).

Back