When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before & After pics of our Belknap bicycle (Dayton-Huffman)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Thanks musclebikes. The boys Hawthorne comet is a nice looking bicycle, too.

We have dumb-luck when it comes to bicycles. The first bicycle in our collection was a 1939 Huffman Airflyte Twin-Flex. It was all original, and only missing the torpedo light and grips. My dad's cousin wanted us to have it, but we gave her $100 for it. We didn't realize at the time what a find it was. Our next bicycle was a 1953 Firestone Holiday (Monark) that guy said to take if we wanted it - it was a real basket case. Though we gave him $25 for it, since he gave us a couple of old metal toy trucks and some bicycle parts as well. My dad's co-worker brought in the Belknap, since he knew that we collected old bicycles. My dad gave him $50 for his trouble.

I think we only have about $500 in restoration. There wasn't a whole lot to chrome, plus my dad painted it. I know we spent more than that on the just the paint job for our Twin-Flex.

We have a MOBO Bronco with magic steering; he's off-white with brown spots. My dad had one as a kid, so we found bought a Bronco at a local antique shop. We put him next to the fireplace. A white-and-black one came up at a local auction a few weeks ago. We bid on him, but he went for almost $300 - way overpriced.

Just recently, I picked-up a 1940 Belknap Hardware Store catalog (their 100th anniversary year). They're fabulous, and incredibly difficult to find. They have everything...including the kitchen sink. Out of 3226 pages, there were only 3 bicycles offered.

The one on the left is No. BD Belknap. It came only in Black with White trim, and sold for $74.85 (equivalent to $1078.91 according to the U.S. Labor inflation calculator). It's no wonder that Belknap bicycles are practically non-existant nowadays.

The one on the right is No. MB39 Belknap Streamline. It came in Black / White or Red / White. It retailed for $87.75, or $1,264.85 in today's money - batteries not included.

I didn't include the third bicycle, because it was basically the stripped down version of the No. BD Belknap. No rack, tank, chainguard, or headlight. Though it still retailed for $62.85, equivalent to $904.95.

I love these old catalogs, they're interesting to flip through. Now, if I could only find a Belknap catalog with my bicycle in it.
- Kelly

1940sbelknapbicycles-1.jpg

and the winner is........

The bike on the left is a Rollfast made zep style bike and the one on the right is a Murray of Ohio made Mercury. Could be leftover from 1939 as both look like 1939 bikes. Marc

^ Yeah, I wouldn't mind coming across one of those. I know that Belknap built very little of the products offered in their catalogs, if at all. Did they pay nearly full price for these bikes, put the Belknap headbadge on them, and jack up the price? Most of the catalogs and ads that I've seen list, from that time period, offer fully outfitted bikes for around $25 - $45, much lower than Belknap's $75 - $85.

- Kelly

furniture

:D I my self would keep it in the bedroom thats one sexy lookin ride :D lol

Back