When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Before and After

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
It wasn't easy and by no means are they perfect, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. Threw everything I had at them, X-acto blade, wire brush, steel wool, aluminum foil, chrome polish/rust remover, citric acid, then a paste wax. Replaced hubs and spokes.
Vince: the first photo is before, the second photo is after.
View attachment 414987 View attachment 414988

Dave, it's a "labor of love".
I realize it took a lot of elbow grease.
The results as you pointed, may not be perfect, but nevertheless. are great.

Vince, just to clarify what Dave said about the photos:

The first photo is described as "before".
This means that Dave took a picture before throwing whatever was needed
to complete the task.

The second photo he describes as "after".
This means that after throwing everything, he then took another photo
to illustrate the differences.

And don't feel bad.
It took me a several beers and two days before I got the gist
of what he was attempting to do with his nipples.

Someone, MIT, I think, did a study on the "tin foil helmet."

Turns out, it acts like an antenna, and actually increases the amount of RF and EMF waves directed at your head.

Not sure if it keeps your thoughts from escaping, tho...

Seems like you must have spent an awful lot of time on them- Very nice. What's your plan for when they rust again?

Thank you, I've put several coats of wax on them. For me that's proven effective enough for parts that I've had to get this extreme with in the past. I suppose if they were exposed to the elements more, I'd have to see how the wax held up. If it didn't, I'd probably have to use some sort of product that dealt with rust prevention that I've read about on this site. I will say though, that I have a rim that I'm trying to rustify(?), and has been buried in a pile of gravel for the past 2 months. The inside has been waxed, the outside hasn't. I just checked it and the side with the wax, seems to be resisting rust fairly well.

Last edited:
Back