Belgian 1930s Telephone Repairman's Bicycle

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

johan willaert

Finally riding a big boys bike
Feb 5, 2013
Bruges, Belgium
www.theliberator.be
Just wanted to share this all Original 1930s Belgian Telephone Repairman's Bicycle.

This bike was given to me in the mid 1970s by a friend of my father who had just retired from the Belgian Telephone Company. He had started work there as a repairman in the 1930s and was issued this bicyle to ride from one customer to another.
The bicycle is rather sturdy and the Luggage rack would have held the leather tool case for repairs and connections.

It is still exactly like the day I got it, complete with electrical lighting (which may have been added in the 50s or so) and three speed Sturmey gears actuated by the lever mounted on the top tube of the frame.
The tires on the bike were the original 26x2x1.75 BERGOUGNAN made and marked RTT (Belgian Telephone Company) and I have replaced them recently with Vredestein tires of the same size. The originals are now safely stored away. The Taks (license) Plate is an Original RTT enameled model too.
Paint is Original and there is some rust and grime on it, but that just adds character...

I rode this bike all through my schooldays and still get it out occasionally to tour my region!

RTTFiets1-1.jpg

Hope you like it!

Cheers,

Johan

filmonger

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
In Memoriam
Dec 25, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Cool story, history & very interesting bike!

invesions

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 22, 2013
Saint Robert, United States
Very cool, thanks for sharing! Always neat getting history with the bike as well.

Crazybikelady

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Sep 9, 2013
Indeed! Very cool!

> Marie

Similar to the crazy cat lady; I'm obsessed, & couldn't care less that I've got too many.

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

hoofhearted

Saint Lactose The Tolerant
Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
on the mast.jpg

=================================================================================================================

vincev

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Nov 2, 2008
crown point<indiana
Heavy duty like a Swiss Army bike.

hoofhearted

Saint Lactose The Tolerant
Jan 20, 2010
Fairborn, Ohio
Thank You, Johan !!! i believe wanting to "connect-the-dots" is a very-human condition.

We seek closure. But we expect that closure to be logical. When we hear a 'knock' at the door ..
we assume the noise was generated from outside .. by a yet-to-be-identified person. We would
never assume the noise was created by an unseen force, inside the room, with us.

Within thirty minits of peepin' that lineman's bicycle .. i was off to e-bay in bicycles .. lookin' for
something-else i cannot live without. Am one to always punch See Seller's Other Items ... when
the foto of the lineman materializes .. i quickly-grabs it to my pic-folder .. shuts-off the e-bay ...
next thing .. am eye-to-eye with the foto of the lineman.

The vision was initially-peripheral.

At first .. perhaps this man was the sailor who spotted the White Whale ... no, it's just not right ......
then .. perhaps .. Frederick Fleet ... one of six, rotating, 'round-the-clock, "crow's-nest" watchmen
aboard the Titanic, the night of April 14, 1912.

It was Mr. Fleet who messaged, "Iceberg, right ahead !!" to the bridge !!

No .. it's not Frederick Fleet.

Say, gentle reader .. does the portrayed look a bit like Vloote Dubois ... nicknamed - Tall Pine Whisperer ...
married, father of four children .. and Belgian-Champion Bocce Player from 1927 'til 1942 when his life was
ended abruptly by enemy gunfire as he fought along-side the Belgian Restistance ??!!

on the mast.jpg

...... patric

=================================================================================

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!