When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Believe from no 1952 chicago

-
Original wheels will have a knurling running around the middle and somewhere SCHWINN TUBUKAR S2 will be stamped into them. Nice finish on the frame; almost appears to be powder coated.
Sure wish could be original but from 59 would be impossible i am sure, just bought it from a guy that sells used bikes after he fixes them up

Original wheels will have a knurling running around the middle and somewhere SCHWINN TUBUKAR S2 will be stamped into them. Nice finish on the frame; almost appears to be powder coated.
Am happy with it and love to hear about what it was in original state

Maybe marked S-7 if the builder kept this a true middeweight.

First year for S7 was in 55. I have a 52 Hornet, 54 Starlet, and a 58 Starlet. The 52 and 54 have S2s. The 58 has S7s; as do the Corvettes, Tiger, Fairlady, Hollywood, and Debutante.

First year for S7 was in 55. I have a 52 Hornet, 54 Starlet, and a 58 Starlet. The 52 and 54 have S2s. The 58 has S7s; as do the Corvettes, Tiger, Fairlady, Hollywood, and Debutante.

The frame is not a 52 issue. First hint is there is no truss bar between the top and down tubes.

@333kdlarson Both the Bikehistory and Angelfire sites show that F969063 is a 6/11/1959 date. In the numbering system initiated in 1958, the first letter represents the month beginning with A for Jan. (F=June.) The 1st number following the letter represents the year - beginning in 1958 (9=1959.) The next five are consecutive serial numbers. Here's a picture of a 1959 Schwinn Tornado taken from a 1959 Schwinn catalog.

The same frame, fork, and chainguard, and perhaps seat stem, gooseneck, and handle bars. IF the wheels were original, the rims would have been painted S7s. Missing painted fenders. Chinese blue was the only available color with white accents. Looks like a good bike for cruising in your 'hood.

Last edited:
Sure wish could be original but from 59 would be impossible i am sure, just bought it from a guy that sells used bikes after he fixes them up
"....fixes them up" using whatever parts happen to be lying around. ;)

As you read more and more posts, you'll quickly figure out that there's not much of a market for girl's bicycles, even though they're easier for some of old farts - better gear ratios and easier to "step through" than over a bar. If you were to try and bring this bike back to original, you would have invested maybe 3-4 times what you could get out of it. You would probably even have to get different tires. Schwinn middleweight S2 rims take a 26 x 1-3/4" tire. Industry middleweight weight bikes take a 26 x 1.75" tire. Even though the fraction and the decimal are equivalent, the two different tires are different sizes and are not interchangeable. If I were you, the only thing I might consider would be fenders to keep road debris from splashing on you. Just go out and ride it like you stole it.

Last edited:

I know who you are talking about. I've been to his place a couple of times and does pretty decent work but doesn't mess with originality. I purchased a 1962 Corvette 3 speed from him but it wasn't messed with. One of his listings.

Last edited:
I know who you are talking about. I've been to his place a couple of times and does pretty decent work but doesn't mess with originality. I purchased a 1962 Corvette 3 speed from him but it wasn't messed with. One of his listings.

[/QUOTE nice guy too, that is him

Back