When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Belknap Hardware and Mfg. Company Identification

-

Bicycle Museum of America

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good afternoon, everyone.

I have received a photograph in the mail from a man asking for his exact bicycle to be identified. This is the only photograph I have of the bicycle, and no contact information to ask him additional questions. Has anyone seen a Belknap bicycle that looks like this? I was thinking late 50s early 60s Sportsman, but wasn't sure if they made Sportsman bicycles with a single speed. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachment (26).jpg

Good afternoon, everyone.

I have received a photograph in the mail from a man asking for his exact bicycle to be identified. This is the only photograph I have of the bicycle, and no contact information to ask him additional questions. Has anyone seen a Belknap bicycle that looks like this? I was thinking late 50s early 60s Sportsman, but wasn't sure if they made Sportsman bicycles with a single speed. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 1557931
how are you going to give him the information if you have "no contact information to ask him additional questions"?

I agree with posts above that it looks pre-1930. Did the letter writer say it was a Belknap?

Found some newspaper references for Belknap Hardware and MFG Company, Blue Grass Bicycles and Belknap Bicycles. There are six pages of posts on CABE about Belknap bicycles and one page of Blue Grass posts. Hard to be more helpful with the limited information provided. The photo looks old so curious if he still has the bicycle or he doesn't have it anymore and is looking to find one like it. Try to get more info if you have his return mailing address.

1913:

1914:

1918:

1931:

1937:

1937:

I agree with posts above that it looks pre-1930. Did the letter writer say it was a Belknap?

Found some newspaper references for Belknap Hardware and MFG Company, Blue Grass Bicycles and Belknap Bicycles. There are six pages of posts on CABE about Belknap bicycles and one page of Blue Grass posts. Hard to be more helpful with the limited information provided. The photo looks old so curious if he still has the bicycle or he doesn't have it anymore and is looking to find one like it. Try to get more info if you have his return mailing address.

1913:
View attachment 1558172

1914:
View attachment 1558173

1918:
View attachment 1558174

1931:
View attachment 1558175
View attachment 1558176

1937:
View attachment 1558177

1937:
View attachment 1558178

Thanks for the info. I did see the many pages about Belknap on here. Coincidentally, I just answered another question about the company last week - not from the same person.

The writer originally contacted us 11 years ago and seemingly just now got around to sending it back. Previous BMA staff sent him a few ads that he wasn't convinced were his bicycle so he wanted us to take another shot at it. He's only sending snail mail, so information is slow. He also wasn't clear on the information he is looking for, which is why I came to you all. I'm glad I did!

Coincidentally, could the bicycle by a Speedmore or Cyclone? I found this ad from 1912:
1643397404297.jpeg

It mentions a Speedmore and Cyclone line of bicycles. The only Speedmore bicycle I can find was a 26" bought by someone here on the CABE, and the one from this ad:
1643397541746.png

Both of which have the motorbike, double top tube. I was wondering if anyone had ever encountered a Speedmore or Cyclone more in line with the original picture that I was sent, or maybe just an ad that I cannot seem to find.

Original bike posted looks pretty early as it has an ornate badge shadow. I have this BELKNAP badge looks 1930's. Hole spacing is 2 3/16" vertically and 2 3/4" h, same as Huffman.

IMG_20220129_143426.jpg

Back