When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bench grinder

-

friendofthedevil

Finally riding a big boys bike
So a couple weeks ago my trusty ol' bench grinder stopped working. Worked fine one time, next time, nothing. Couldn't find anything obviously wrong. Rebuilt the switch, checked the connections, nothing. So I went looking for a replacement. Was hoping to find a good vintage grinder but I found this ugly duckling instead...

20190804_160030.jpg

20190804_160101.jpg

20190804_185324.jpg

I was going to just do a repaint but when I stripped the blue spray paint I found the cases and wheel guards were this awesome aluminum!

20191111_143835.jpg

20191111_143857.jpg

I replaced the bearings and power cord (old one was covered with blue paint)(looking for an end cover) and now have a terrific old grinder.

In the meantime I discovered the first grinder just had a bad power cord, replaced that, and now have two working grinders. Perhaps I will set up the first one with some polishing wheels and do a proper cleaning on the aluminum bits of the second one.

Pretty sure that's a Craftsman, back when that was a good brand. It's nicknamed "Block Motor" among vintage tool enthusiasts.

Back