When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix 2 speed kickback tool and tips

-
Sheldon brown describes substitute for locknut tool, "A serviceable substitute can be fashioned from a spark plug by chipping out the center electrode and cutting back the side electrode so that the stub engages locknut slots."
I followed Sheldon's instructions and made a spark plug hub locknut tool. Grinded off metal crimp, removed guts, repositioned side electrode. I see how it might work. Unfortunately my plug slightly narrow unable slide over ⅜" rear axle. Need to find plug with larger inner diameter.

Good tip! I did not see those for $3.79 as I only glanced at eBay before I made mine...I think the ones I saw were around $30. These prongs look pretty decent and it is not like you are pulling a freewheel. The gold finish reminds me of the old Bicycle Research cog tools...

That Soma Fab shop has some very cool gear!

It will be interesting to see how the new YBs perform in the field.
I just bought one to put on an old Monark. I’ll have to write a review.

You can use a pipe nipple to make the tool also. If I remember correctly you need one 3/8 by several inches long.

Good tip! I did not see those for $3.79 as I only glanced at eBay before I made mine...I think the ones I saw were around $30. These prongs look pretty decent and it is not like you are pulling a freewheel. The gold finish reminds me of the old Bicycle Research cog tools...

That Soma Fab shop has some very cool gear!

It will be interesting to see how the new YBs perform in the field.
My YB (repop) has disappointed frustrated and cost Alot of time and money and not shifted once .

I have one on my wife’s Monark. Works fine, shifts great, and the brakes are way better than the old ND hub. About the same noise as the Bendix red band on my Schwinn.

45F0A18F-0DA6-4D2C-A64E-46D30954D006.jpeg

I wish I could figure this out bought 3 indexing springs,1clutch coupler,these where bad the first time I took it apart all new bearings made and bought tools and memerize repair manual and still no shift,got over $500.00 in my wheel I don't think the hub is that hard to put back together especially with tools manual and half a brain. Guess I gonna cut my losses rip it out find new one that works and have the wheel built again. Wish I could build my wheels myself without buying more tools

Back