When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix 2 Speed manual shift

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The hubs is peculiar in that it is spring loaded unlike a regular 3 speed hub. The 2 speed in always in low gear and the shifter pushes and hoilds the hub into high gear. The shifter is very specific it has almost a lever action and kind of locks itself in the correct position to hold it in high. I do not think a regular shifter work in that it would not be able to hold it in place as it would not have enough friction to counter the strength of the spring and therefor would continue to slip into low. I will take some pics of mine in a bit. The cable on the correct shifter has a metal sheathing not plastic so it can be clamped securely to the frame to hold it while the cable inside moves the hub actuator. They are not all that hard to find but can be pricey. I have purchased a cable and an actuator knuckle for the axel from feebay but I do not think they make an actual shifter switch. I would suggest placing an add in wanted section or maybe contact @Gordon he seems to always have the parts I look for and great prices. I will get you pics later I hope I did not confuse you further. I have both types of 2 speed manual like were talking about and automatic when you pedal backwards to switch and the manual is my favorite.

The hubs is peculiar in that it is spring loaded unlike a regular 3 speed hub. The 2 speed in always in low gear and the shifter pushes and hoilds the hub into high gear. The shifter is very specific it has almost a lever action and kind of locks itself in the correct position to hold it in high. I do not think a regular shifter work in that it would not be able to hold it in place as it would not have enough friction to counter the strength of the spring and therefor would continue to slip into low. I will take some pics of mine in a bit. The cable on the correct shifter has a metal sheathing not plastic so it can be clamped securely to the frame to hold it while the cable inside moves the hub actuator. They are not all that hard to find but can be pricey. I have purchased a cable and an actuator knuckle for the axel from feebay but I do not think they make an actual shifter switch. I would suggest placing an add in wanted section or maybe contact @Gordon he seems to always have the parts I look for and great prices. I will get you pics later I hope I did not confuse you further. I have both types of 2 speed manual like were talking about and automatic when you pedal backwards to switch and the manual is my favorite.
I do have most if not all of the parts for the Bendix manual shift hubs. Let me know if you discover you need something.

No you didn't confuse me, I do have the original shifter for it.

Hi there. Can anybody please help me with the proper procedure to lock a new Bendix Aviation two-speed cable into the shifter? I have a Columbia Fire Arrow with a broken cable and I managed to drive the old rusted cable locking pin out of the shifter hook. I have a new two-speed Bendix cable assembly, but I can't quite figure out how to get the new pin into the shifter hook without bending back the shifter handlebar clamp, which I hate to do because it's old and might break off. Is it possible to start the wire from the front (non-handle) side of the shifter, or do I need to start from the rear (handle) side where the shifter hook notch is more exposed? The rear is easier, but then it seems I have to bend to handlebar clamp up some to rotate the wire around to the front and lock the wire housing into the nipple. Any help from those of you who have done this before is much appreciated.

Figured it out - the pin goes in from the back and then the cable slips around though the clamp opening without bending the clamp. Thanks anyway to anyone who read the request for help.

Back