When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix 2-Speed Yellow Band Hub Cogs

-

ninolecoast

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Is anyone aware if Bendix made/sold, a skip tooth cog that fit the yellow band, automatic 2-speed hub?
Or an even numbered 1/2” pitch cog with 18, 20 or 22 teeth?
Aftermarket manufacturer?
Thanks,
Mike

I did this many years ago and wasn't able to find one. I had a machine shop turn the 1/2" pitch teeth off and bore out the center of a skip cog to the same dimension. They were then mated and tig welded together. It looked pretty sweet. Unfortunately no longer have that bike or else I would grab you some photos.

Sure thing. I do believe 18 is a common cog for the yellow band but ive never tried cutting off every other tooth. I figured the skiptooth chain would be too wide. Another option is the ichibike skiptooth sprocket for modern hubs. Kind of a sneaky way to run more gears on a skiptooth.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, everyone I have has 19 teeth.
I have enough donor parts that I could experiment with a 20 tooth, 1/2 pitch cog and see if I could machine down every other tooth.

I did this many years ago and wasn't able to find one. I had a machine shop turn the 1/2" pitch teeth off and bore out the center of a skip cog to the same dimension. They were then mated and tig welded together. It looked pretty sweet. Unfortunately no longer have that bike or else I would grab you some photos.
So with this thought, why wouldn’t a 1/2 pitch chain fit a Skiptooth sprocket. It should shouldn’t it? But the chain gets off of time with the sprocket. Would the same not happen with a Skiptooth chain, and a 1/2 sprocket cut down?

On this project I didn't just remove every other tooth. I had the entire 1/2" sprocket machined away and a proper skip tooth sprocket welded to the bendix center. I've heard of guys grinding off every other tooth, but I've never done it personally. I would think the 3/16 skip tooth chain would be sloppy on the 1/8 wide sprocket.

This is a project I’m very interested in. It looks like the original cog was pressed on. Can see splines/knurling. I would like to make this conversion on 2 or 3 of my hubs. Unfortunately I lack the tools and knowledge to do it.

My concern would be, heat distorting the assembly.

Mike

I wish I had documented the process with some pics. Yes, we machined the teeth off all the way down to the splines. Then I found a skiptooth sprocket that had a large enough diameter to have the entire center cut out an still have enough meat to weld on. He then laid down 4-5 little runs with a tig welder. Maybe .5-.75" long each. Enough for it to be strong but not overheated.

I also just noticed that your yellow band looks a little different. I used a 3 stripe red band. I believe those have a little more material in this area.

Last edited:
Back