When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix 2-Speed Yellow Band Hub Cogs

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

ninolecoast

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Is anyone aware if Bendix made/sold, a skip tooth cog that fit the yellow band, automatic 2-speed hub?
Or an even numbered 1/2” pitch cog with 18, 20 or 22 teeth?
Aftermarket manufacturer?
Thanks,
Mike

I did this many years ago and wasn't able to find one. I had a machine shop turn the 1/2" pitch teeth off and bore out the center of a skip cog to the same dimension. They were then mated and tig welded together. It looked pretty sweet. Unfortunately no longer have that bike or else I would grab you some photos.

Sure thing. I do believe 18 is a common cog for the yellow band but ive never tried cutting off every other tooth. I figured the skiptooth chain would be too wide. Another option is the ichibike skiptooth sprocket for modern hubs. Kind of a sneaky way to run more gears on a skiptooth.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, everyone I have has 19 teeth.
I have enough donor parts that I could experiment with a 20 tooth, 1/2 pitch cog and see if I could machine down every other tooth.

I did this many years ago and wasn't able to find one. I had a machine shop turn the 1/2" pitch teeth off and bore out the center of a skip cog to the same dimension. They were then mated and tig welded together. It looked pretty sweet. Unfortunately no longer have that bike or else I would grab you some photos.
So with this thought, why wouldn’t a 1/2 pitch chain fit a Skiptooth sprocket. It should shouldn’t it? But the chain gets off of time with the sprocket. Would the same not happen with a Skiptooth chain, and a 1/2 sprocket cut down?

On this project I didn't just remove every other tooth. I had the entire 1/2" sprocket machined away and a proper skip tooth sprocket welded to the bendix center. I've heard of guys grinding off every other tooth, but I've never done it personally. I would think the 3/16 skip tooth chain would be sloppy on the 1/8 wide sprocket.

This is a project I’m very interested in. It looks like the original cog was pressed on. Can see splines/knurling. I would like to make this conversion on 2 or 3 of my hubs. Unfortunately I lack the tools and knowledge to do it.

My concern would be, heat distorting the assembly.

Mike

I wish I had documented the process with some pics. Yes, we machined the teeth off all the way down to the splines. Then I found a skiptooth sprocket that had a large enough diameter to have the entire center cut out an still have enough meat to weld on. He then laid down 4-5 little runs with a tig welder. Maybe .5-.75" long each. Enough for it to be strong but not overheated.

I also just noticed that your yellow band looks a little different. I used a 3 stripe red band. I believe those have a little more material in this area.

Last edited:
Back