When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix 2 Speed

-

TR6SC

I live for the CABE
I'm in the market for a 2 speed. I've read that the Blue stripes are for 20" wheeled bikes because the gearing is Low being direct, and Hi being overdrive 1:1.5
Yellow and Red have Hi being direct, and Low is 67% of that.
So, who knows the finer points? Yellow came first in the early '60s and then Red was mid to late '60s. Or vice versa. Anyway, is one better than the other? Are there any differences I haven't mentioned? Thanks to all.
Also, same cogs as other Bendix?

Last edited:
Also, same cogs as other Bendix?

Cogs are a totally different animal on these from other hubs. Red and Yellow share the same cog, Blue are different. You only get two options on the Red and Yellow, 18T or 19T. 18T were standard issue, 19T were sold aftermarket. Blue is 20T, not sure if there were any other sizes for those.

I have a few of them, red & yellow. They are great. I think that if push comes to shove, that I'm w/ @PCHiggin as to preferring the red band. That link he shared is excellent also

Cogs are a totally different animal on these from other hubs. Red and Yellow share the same cog, Blue are different. You only get two options on the Red and Yellow, 18T or 19T. 18T were standard issue, 19T were sold aftermarket. Blue is 20T, not sure if there were any other sizes for those.
I've modified a couple for use on a skip tooth, good info. to check the tooth count before you start cutting.

I prefer the yellow bands honestly. I feel more in control and with more umph than the red bands I've used.
But that's just personal opinion.

Mines a ghetto skip tooth cause I broke a tooth off biking to work one day. Thing is still hauling with a missing tooth on a normal chain like it ain't no thang

There are a few parts shared between the red & yellows but the cogs are completely different. Yes 18 tooth is standard with 19 being optional. With the swap of one other part you can make a yellow a blue or a blue a yellow.

OK but what about the green band?!

I'd like to know more about these myself! Can't find any paper work on them or service bulletins. I've only seen pictures of two, one based of a red band the other a yellow. I can see things are different on the yellow based one but can't get any info on it.

Last edited:
Back