When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix automatic hub grease

-

ADReese

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I'm getting ready to reassemble a bendix 3 red stripe kickback hub and was wondering what type of grease that people have had good luck with. I see it says to lightly coat everything. Would the Park grease work well?

Well I just built one of those, and I used Redline CV-2 on the bearings and everything else that called for grease. Don't leave anything bare (prevents rust) but you will want oil on some parts instead of grease. The discs in particular. Those tend to drag anyway, and will drag horrible if you put grease on them. The Schwinn manuals posted here tell which things want grease. Someone else posted a sheet from another source (Sutherlands manual via Sheldon Brown's site), and the recommendations were slightly different. Common sense should rule. The little shift spring is delicate and should just have enough grease (or oil) to lube it and keep it from rusting. It shouldn't be completely packed or submerged in grease or that might impair its operation. Bearings get grease.

I havent used Park's grease, but its probably fine. Better if it's light I think. Better if it's synthetic so it wont turn to goo or concrete like the white lithium grease that was so common back when these hubs were everywhere. I bought the lightest synthetic motor oil in the store for the discs and any other oiled parts. It is 0w-16 or something. I dont even think you could buy motor oil that light a year or two ago. Poured it over the disc pack (no grease). It spins like crazy.

EDIT: links are in this thread. Its a Yellow Band but the difference is it has brake shoes instead of a disc pack. The link to the instructions for the yellow band works, just scroll ahead a few pages and you will find the red band instructions.

https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/f...y-drug-i-think-this-will-be-fun.182807/page-7

Last edited:
I had used waterproof bearing grease in these hubs for years, worked fine but there is noticeable drag. Now been using park tool or mobil 1 synthetic. The park grease is a lot slicker then the old trailer bearing grease.

Back