When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix Coaster Brake not Braking

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BrianInPA

Finally riding a big boys bike
I just cleaned, greased, and reassembled a Bendix manual 2speed. Though it is a 2speed hub, it's just running as a 1speed now. The brakes are very weak. Used red and tacky Amsoil grease on the brass shoes and hub walls. Watched a could videos and that seemed like the thing to go.

Wondering if the brake shoes get a glaze on them and need to be scuffed up a little?
Or if I used too much grease or should have used oil instead on the pads and wall?
There's no play in the hub, wheel spins nice. But could it be too loose and could that affect it?

Thanks you!

Are 2 metal tabs ms-34 inserted
0b5242225a0953dce33b309f3425a6e2-1.jpg

I'd try more grease on the inside of the shoes and around the wedges that actuate them then oil on the shoes. I think I have had a few dud 2 speed brakes and Flying B hubs that just didn't come back to life after a service. I'd have to take a few of mine apart, but I won't have time to tinker for a while until I get the new house situated. I know there are 2 different shells and thinking there was a difference in shoes, don't have any pictures though.

Also note, the "Power Brake" feature only works in low gear....you get more mechanical advantage in low.

I'd try more grease on the inside of the shoes and around the wedges that actuate them then oil on the shoes. I think I have had a few dud 2 speed brakes and Flying B hubs that just didn't come back to life after a service. I'd have to take a few of mine apart, but I won't have time to tinker for a while until I get the new house situated. I know there are 2 different shells and thinking there was a difference in shoes, don't have any pictures though.

Also note, the "Power Brake" feature only works in low gear....you get more mechanical advantage in low.
Ok I appreciate the response. I will be taking it apart and digging into it again over the weekend. Thank you!

Back