When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix Hubs (2 or 3 Speed)

-

dtaylor613

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a couple single speed bikes (see below) and there are a fair amount of hills in my neighborhood. I can get by with single speed but I feel 2 or 3 speed would make things a little more enjoyable. Does anyone have a 2 or 3 speed Bendix hub they are selling? Or if anyone has another recommendation, let me know. Bikes are:

54' Schwinn Phantom
59' Schwinn Jaguar

Are you looking for hubs only, or complete wheels?

Do you wand lever activated or automatic 2 speed hubs?

Would a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub work?

I might have some of all the above.

rusty

Are you looking for hubs only, or complete wheels?

Do you wand lever activated or automatic 2 speed hubs?

Would a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub work?

I might have some of all the above.

rusty

I was thinking just the hubs - but I am not opposed to complete wheels. It seems this would make life easier if/when switching back to the original wheels. Not sure how big the cost difference is.

I would like to keep both as "correct" to the time period as possible, but I believe the only period "correct" option on these two year models would be the Sturmey Archer 3 speed on the 59' Jaguar(?)

Perhaps you or someone could chime in on this. My primary objective is to install something that would make the hills around me a little more manageable and that would allow me to revert the bike back to its original condition if I ever needed/wanted to. Period correct would just be a big plus.

Unfortunately the 52 and 54 SA hubs I have sitting on my desk are 40 hole.
Will look a bit deeper for later ones and 36 hole.

I have a couple 2 speed hubs, but not certain how to date them.
rusty

I have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in a Schwinn S7 wheel. Not sure what wheels your bike currently has.
Update: I went and dug it out and the hub is date stamped "59". The wheel has some typical rust on the chrome, but I think it will clean up okay.

Last edited:
The Phantom has Original Tubular S2 Rims

I am not seeing any stamp or designation on the Jaguar but I believe it to be the original rims which I think are the S7s

Back