When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix Hubs (2 or 3 Speed)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

dtaylor613

Look Ma, No Hands!
I have a couple single speed bikes (see below) and there are a fair amount of hills in my neighborhood. I can get by with single speed but I feel 2 or 3 speed would make things a little more enjoyable. Does anyone have a 2 or 3 speed Bendix hub they are selling? Or if anyone has another recommendation, let me know. Bikes are:

54' Schwinn Phantom
59' Schwinn Jaguar

Are you looking for hubs only, or complete wheels?

Do you wand lever activated or automatic 2 speed hubs?

Would a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub work?

I might have some of all the above.

rusty

Are you looking for hubs only, or complete wheels?

Do you wand lever activated or automatic 2 speed hubs?

Would a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub work?

I might have some of all the above.

rusty

I was thinking just the hubs - but I am not opposed to complete wheels. It seems this would make life easier if/when switching back to the original wheels. Not sure how big the cost difference is.

I would like to keep both as "correct" to the time period as possible, but I believe the only period "correct" option on these two year models would be the Sturmey Archer 3 speed on the 59' Jaguar(?)

Perhaps you or someone could chime in on this. My primary objective is to install something that would make the hills around me a little more manageable and that would allow me to revert the bike back to its original condition if I ever needed/wanted to. Period correct would just be a big plus.

Unfortunately the 52 and 54 SA hubs I have sitting on my desk are 40 hole.
Will look a bit deeper for later ones and 36 hole.

I have a couple 2 speed hubs, but not certain how to date them.
rusty

I have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub in a Schwinn S7 wheel. Not sure what wheels your bike currently has.
Update: I went and dug it out and the hub is date stamped "59". The wheel has some typical rust on the chrome, but I think it will clean up okay.

Last edited:
The Phantom has Original Tubular S2 Rims

I am not seeing any stamp or designation on the Jaguar but I believe it to be the original rims which I think are the S7s

Back