When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix Original hub numbers and arm

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

rickpaulos

Finally riding a big boys bike
Bendix Elmira N.Y. USA 36 13

I have this Bendix hub that is missing the brake arm and brake arm nut. So what would it have looked like? Any one have a good photo of the correct arm? I found a parts chart that shows the part number is the same for the first 3 models of hubs. But I've seen some photos where the lettering is a different script/font.

It is a 36 spoke hole hub so does the 36 mean 36 spokes? Or 1936? Or something else. The 1/2 pitch 19t cog is threaded with a reverse threaded lock ring. The cog has a slot that I thought was used for spoke replacement access but the slot isn't low enough for spoke access.

I've de-greased it and reassembled dry for now. It's all in good condition, just missing the arm and nut.

50555983828_c215dfafcb_c.jpg

50555983488_dc5d003c93_c.jpg

50555983173_7c196c9c7a_c.jpg

36 is the number of spokes, 13 is the gauge thickness of the spokes. It has the oiler hole so it's an earlier version of the original hub. Was made from 1946 to 1961. The brake arm would have looked something like this:

1604273812586.png

Yours is in nice shape. Most that I see the chrome on the shell is weak or even peeling off.

Thanks.

it was completely encased in crud. Took about 20 minutes in gasoline to loosen it up. I'd opine the original owner over oiled it often.

for coaster brake hubs, older seems to be better. This one has very little wear.

Thanks.

it was completely encased in crud. Took about 20 minutes in gasoline to loosen it up. I'd opine the original owner over oiled it often.

for coaster brake hubs, older seems to be better. This one has very little wear.
The crud probably saved the chrome. I think the Bendix single speed hubs perform about the same, but I do prefer the original hubs. They just look beefier. Not sure why the chrome was weaker on the earliest ones, but that could be for a variety of reasons.

The crud can work both ways. I think depends more on where the bike sat for so long. Here in the upper midwest, the humidity can get very high for months on end. The crud can hold moisture against the steel and make rust worse. Stored in a dry locale, and not much happens anyhow. I have a crate of later Bendix (and other brands) of hubs. The cable 2 speed shift get rusty, the Automatics get rusty, the red band and rb2 get rusty.

Surface rust is one thing, but here is an example of what many of the early hubs I come across look like:

1604444003712.png

That ain't gonna buff out :).

Back