When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendix Red Band Resurrection

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
From a '63 Speedster I picked up awhile back. As found, it would barely shift, and I could tell it was very unhappy inside...

Fossilized grease resulted in me having to pull and pry it apart bit by bit. It was so depressingly difficult it took me three days of going back and forth to it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Great job, they look almost new. I recently pulled mine apart as well and was the same thing with the fossilized grease. It was extremely intimidating. I didn't have the diagram you have there, and just took photos at every step of the disassembly process so I could put it back together again. What are you using there to clean the bit of rust off the rims, That is coming out much better than mine did, and is there any risk of scratching or dulling the chrome?

That looks nice! What chemical did you use to clean the rim? (other than the brush)

Thanks for sharing that. I didn't even think to look for these here. Come to think of it, I didn't even know this place existed the when i got the bike and immediately tore into it. Those will be invaluable to have and have booked marked them as they will come in handy soon i'm sure.

You can use the Schwinn manual as indicated by @rustjunkie but I used the Sutherland's manual from Sheldon Brown's site.

I try to only use brass hand brushes and citric acid on chrome - a method learned here on the CABE. The acid literally dissolves the rust before your eyes and takes only light pressure from the brush to remove most of it. 0000 steel wool and oil, et al., also works but can easily dull the chrome. Just because it looks better does not mean you did the right thing.

The acid I am using is almost a year old, that is why it is brown. You can split off the top layer after sediments settle out and reuse it over and over. You can buy the powdered acid at Walmart if the canning section, I buy hand brushes at Ace hardware. Half a bottle of acid in a small tub is plenty strong. It will irritate you skin if you don't wash it off after a few minutes - of course, wear eye protection.

j119.jpg

j121.jpg

You can use the Schwinn manual as indicated by @rustjunkie but I used the Sutherland's manual from Sheldon Brown's site.

I try to only use brass hand brushes and citric acid on chrome - a method learned here on the CABE. The acid literally dissolves the rust before your eyes and takes only light pressure from the brush to remove most of it. 0000 steel wool and oil, et al., also works but can easily dull the chrome. Just because it looks better does not mean you did the right thing.

The acid I am using is almost a year old, that is why it is brown. You can split off the top layer after sediments settle out and reuse it over and over. You can buy the powdered acid at Walmart if the canning section, I buy hand brushes at Ace hardware. Half a bottle of acid in a small tub is plenty strong. It will irritate you skin if you don't wash it off after a few minutes - of course, wear eye protection.

View attachment 1127297

View attachment 1127302
Great info and details. I know what I’ll be doing this weekend. I’m assuming this isn’t good for any paint?

Great info and details. I know what I’ll be doing this weekend. I’m assuming this isn’t good for any paint?
If it gets splashed on paint just wipe it off right away...no worries.

To remove rust under the paint, etc.. see CABE threads on wood bleach/OA acid baths..another bike shop magic trick learned on here.

Back