When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bent Pedal Fix

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

GenuineRides

Wore out three sets of tires already!
What is the best method to straighten those bent pedal axles? This has been driving me crazy for years. I've accumulated all these decent pedals but many have bent axles, so I've swapped parts and am now left with a pile of bent ones. Since the bend is typically at the base of the threads because of the shaft being encased in the pedal frame (e.g. Torrington #10's) I've considered having a machine shop tap a long rod with both left and right hand threads on either end to use as a lever to bend them back. Pull the pedal apart, clamp the entire length of the shaft into a vice, thread this custom 15-18" rod onto the end, maybe apply a bit of heat and bend back into shape. I've tried the reverse, clamping the threaded end into the vice and slipping a pipe over the axle shaft but it seems the vice can never hold the short end tight enough to get enough leverage or I end up damaging something. Maybe someone here has the connections to make a tool or can provide this service for a cost??
GenuineRides

Bought the pedal shaft tool on ebay

There is a seller that sells a bar to do what you are talking about, though it help to have a lathe and large vise, i bend then, clamp it on the lathe and spin by hand and see where it needs more bending. It just and thick steel tube with the threads for each side pedal on either end, easy to make with a lathe and a tap.

I knew I should have made one of those years earlier when it popped into my head...$65+$20 really??

What is the best method to straighten those bent pedal axles? ...I've tried the reverse, clamping the threaded end into the vice and slipping a pipe over the axle shaft but it seems the vice can never hold the short end tight enough to get enough leverage or I end up damaging something...
GenuineRides

I think a high quality finely machined vice might hold the short end. BUT, just this week I clamped the long end in my low quality vice and wailed away on the short end with a claw hammer, and a block of hardwood to prevent any damage to the metal. What do you know, it worked! :eek:

Just use a old pair of crank arms on the threaded part of the pedal & clamp the pedal shaft in a vice . That way You have leverage plus left & right threads all in one tool . ;)
I think a high quality finely machined vice might hold the short end. BUT, just this week I clamped the long end in my low quality vice and wailed away on the short end with a claw hammer, and a block of hardwood to prevent any damage to the metal. What do you know, it worked! :eek:

Just use a old pair of crank arms on the threaded part of the pedal & clamp the pedal shaft in a vice . That way You have leverage plus left & right threads all in one tool . ;)

Do you have pics of what the pedal looked like in the vice? Was if completely taken down tho the bare shaft or just the pedal with out the end caps and blocks? if it was just taken own to just the end caps and blocks taken off, would that damage the sleeze that goes over the main shaft?

Down to the shaft no parts except a end cap nut if you can and if you want to protect the threads .Use the bench vise clamp near the bend on the bent portion .Then with a old crank on the pedal threads for leverage bend back to normal range You need to have a good eye and patience.

I agree, wholeheartedly with Tanksalot. Looking carefully, you can use the crank arm angles to align the shaft. I've been heating them up & experimenting tempering w/ oil, they are completely striped down, at his point. It may just be me, but the streamlined peddles seem to be very prone to bending.

These pedals seem to be impossible to find in good condition. I have 5 bikes with torringtons . but had to buy double that amount before finding useable parts. No w trying to straighten shafts from vendor supplied "cores" cleaned the bent shaft+ mounted in lathe Put an indicator on it Had to thread it into crank then chuck it up again. It felt like straightening a nail. Just as effective also. Now welded appropriate nuts on 5 "stock to try again

uploadfromtaptalk1505065353026.jpg

Last edited:
Back