Bent rim problem

This ad disappears when logged in

Tomato John

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 8, 2017
Spokane, WA, United States
G519 wheel with some damage to side. Rim edge is bent out pretty far. What’s the best way to fix? Pound it out or bend back somehow?
3A56999F-FDFA-4403-8771-A2F24FBC36FD.jpeg

RustySprockets

Look Ma, No Hands!
Aug 15, 2013
Glen Burnie, United States
You might be able to gently squeeze it back to a consistent width by using a soft-jawed vise or a hydraulic press, if you have access to one.

An acquaintance once showed me a tool with several steel pins that could allow the user to "roll" this type of damage out of a bent rim. I have never before nor since seen one of these...or even an image of one. That device is on my grail list.

Tomato John

Oct 8, 2017
Sounds like a good idea. I’m just a little bit worried about bending the other side in. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks!

SKPC

Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
You have a slight bend there!!. With the now-inconsistent tensions on all the spokes because of the bend, when you try to straighten or bend back the rim, it may affect the opposite side of the wheel negatively. If you really must attempt this near-impossible procedure, you may try to use a large crescent wrench tightened onto the bent vertical side of the rim and pull it back gently bit by bit. With that kind of damage, you stand very little chance of getting it straight. If it were a super-rare, $500 rim, then disassemble the wheel, and cold work it on a flat surface with the c-wrench and a mallet while taking inside-the-bead measurements all the way around. Good luck with that...

Tomato John

Oct 8, 2017
You have a slight bend there!!. With the now-inconsistent tensions on all the spokes because of the bend, when you try to straighten or bend back the rim, it may affect the opposite side of the wheel negatively. If you really must attempt this near-impossible procedure, you may try to use a large crescent wrench tightened onto the bent vertical side of the rim and pull it back gently bit by bit. With that kind of damage, you stand very little chance of getting it straight. If it were a super-rare, $500 rim, then disassemble the wheel, and cold work it on a flat surface with the c-wrench and a mallet while taking inside-the-bead measurements all the way around. Good luck with that...
It doesn’t seem to have any wobble so I’m considering just leaving it alone until a replacement can be found unless I discover an easy solution. Appreciate your thoughts. J

bairdco

I live for the CABE
Dec 24, 2009
Midway
Just lay in on the edge of your work bench and beat on it with a rubber mallet. Not like you're gonna make it any worse...

Tomato John

Oct 8, 2017
Just lay in on the edge of your work bench and beat on it with a rubber mallet. Not like you're gonna make it any worse...
This is what I ended up doing and it worked really well. I can barely see where the original damage was and rim didn’t get knocked out of whack.....

SKPC

Feb 2, 2018
Utah - United States
Yea, glad it worked with the wham-o-bam-o technique. Reversing the original force will sometimes (if just bent, not crushed) just snap a bent rim back into place. Metal has somewhat of a "memory" to it that allows you to do this. I remember once being buried deep in the backcountry riding with some buddies. One of them badly taco'd his front wheel. We took it off, wham-o-bam-o'd it in the opposite direction, and the spoke tensions helped bring it back to true. Vertical dents, on the other hand, are a different animal...

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
$5489.00
eBay Auction Picture
$1600.00
eBay Auction Picture
$10.00
eBay Auction Picture
$24.99
eBay Auction Picture
$12.00
eBay Auction Picture