When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bent springer fork

-
Im sure you've probably thought of this already but is there a possibility that the problem is in the crown. Uncommon I know but still possible....

Ive had this issue before and thought I had a bent fork and I took it back apart and reassembled it and it was fine so not sure if I had something clocked wrong or what but yeah....

Im sure you've probably thought of this already but is there a possibility that the problem is in the crown. Uncommon I know but still possible....

Ive had this issue before and thought I had a bent fork and I took it back apart and reassembled it and it was fine so not sure if I had something clocked wrong or what but yeah....
Yah I’m going to take everything apart next weekend and see if maybe something like that could be it I’m hoping it is honestly

Oh no it’s not that I just had everything loose. I thought my axel was bent bc my rim was cocked all the way to the right and the tire was hitting the fender to where it would come to a complete stop immediately. Got a new axel and placed it on the fork and seen that something is wrong with the fork that one side is more forward. @TRM
Park tools makes a fork and frame straightening tool that iv'e seen on fee bay that might work for this. Check it out. Good luck. Razin.

Having straightened one of these successfully recently on a bike I have owned for decades, I will just say that if there is a pro who does this, send it to him. This is a long winded annoying job, one that I was sure I had right several times in years past, and the bike still did not go straight.

That said, if you need to bend the legs don't try to do it with them mounted, you'll just bend the pivot bolt, and maybe some other things. When you disassemble it, the first thing you want to do is verify that the steer tube is straight. It is easier if is a postwar bike with the large flat (VSF) lower bearing. Is it?

Hold it in there from the bottom so that the bearing contacts the race all the way around, and turn it. Watch the top. Is the steer tube concentric with the head tube? Does it stay that way as you turn it? If not you must straighten the steer tube.

If you get this far, I might have more advice.

Back