When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bertoni - "Light and Legendary Vitus 979"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bikemonkey

I live for the CABE
A Bertoni recently showed up on CL for sale in SC and I had to refresh my memory on the brand. All I could recall at first was aluminum frames that made big ripples in the industry back in the early 1980s. I ran across this lengthy and excellent article (linked below) on the history of France's Vitus 979 tubing. It also includes an excellent foray into the history of aluminum bicycles which I think may be of interest to folks here as well.

Regarding Bertoni - here is an excerpt from the article, "Bertoni was a brand, built as the name suggests, around Italian made lightweights, of one of the great American cycle entrepreneurs, Ben Lawee (1926-2002). Lawee created also the Italvega and Univega brands for the U.S. market built around foreign imported machines of his own design and specification....He later became the U.S. distributor for Motobecane during the “Bike Boom” in America in the 1970s and played a major role in the specifications of the brand for the U.S. market, including the early adoption of quality Japanese components."

Like some other CABERs, I was working in bike shops in the '80s and this was a revolutionary time that was witnessed as the industry changed quickly and significantly in many ways, and Lawee was a key player.

"Light and Legendary Vitus 979" by Peter C. Kohlor from his "On the Drops - Racing & Lightweight Cycle Articles"

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the article.

I have a Univega Alpina Comp mountain bike from 1990 with "Lawee design" on the chain stay.

IMG_1978.JPG

I have a Univega made in Italy by Torpado, maybe a 1980? A bike that I will post some more pics of when I dig it out of my messy work shop.

30459C06-E84C-427D-B335-7FB4A8E0DB7A.jpeg

I owned a Bertoni that I purchased from my local bicycle shop in the around 1986 .. Columbus SL tubing with Shimano 600 group hanging off it .. nice light beautifully made in Italy road bike .. they had the Vitus made ones too around then too .. great bikes

Back