When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best brake cable to use

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have the same question so I’ll jump in with my details:
D36B3238-AA0C-4EC0-973E-2C8BF7E810D9.jpeg
7E97CB4E-2FC3-45BA-B701-442D05B8DE5F.jpeg
BDA4F8D6-0E38-4A39-A703-621A380DCFC4.jpeg

Best: “most advantageous, suitable or desirable.”
In my case I’m interested in cable that; #1 fits my lever, #2 fits my housing and #3 stretches the least amount.

Thanks for whatever help everyone can offer.

Last edited:
Housing compresses over time, cables do not stretch.

Just go buy a road bike brake cable from your LBS.
Admittedly the cable housing affects things more than the inner cable due to compressional forces but there is no big difference in the physics of bicycle cables and guitar strings...both are spiral wound and both stretch. There is no housing on guitar strings yet after installing a new set it takes a day or so for them to behave and not need re-tuning because of string stretch. A

For riders I use linear brake housing with 5mm GEAR(not brake and definetly not aluminum) ferrules. gear ferrules are stronger and linear brake housing will not compress like coiled housing. For the inner use good stainless road brake cable.

Admittedly the cable housing affects things more than the inner cable due to compressional forces but there is no big difference in the physics of bicycle cables and guitar strings...both are spiral wound and both stretch. There is no housing on guitar strings yet after installing a new set it takes a day or so for them to behave and not need re-tuning because of string stretch. A

The stretch is negligible compared to the housing compression - barely enough to matter much over the life of a brake cable. Guitar strings are under constant tension and are constructed for tone first with longevity an afterthought. I always figured the stretch on my new bass strings came mostly from the wrap getting “tighter” around the tuner but you are probably right they do stretch as well.

I should have added “enough to matter”, point taken. ;)

The stretch is negligible compared to the housing compression - barely enough to matter much over the life of a brake cable. Guitar strings are under constant tension and are constructed for tone first with longevity an afterthought. I always figured the stretch on my new bass strings came mostly from the wrap getting “tighter” around the tuner but you are probably right they do stretch as well.

I should have added “enough to matter”, point taken. ;)
I was just being picky...you made a good point on guitar strings being under higher tension all of the time as well as seating themselves on the tuning peg. I also agree with your point of cable housing compression being the major cause of needed cable readjustments and not "stretch".:sunglasses:

Actually, brake and derailleur cables do "unwind "( i.e. stretch) over time.

This can be tested by putting a new wire into an old cable housing.

While there is compression and flex in the housing, the effect is really more about the inner
wire reaching a static point.

If you want a real interesting experience, put linear shift housing on your brake lines.
SIS housing(index shifting) has the liner wires running along the length of the housing
and have zero compression. Modulating your brakes would be interesting.

Back