When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best drill bits for the $$?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Tomato John

Finally riding a big boys bike
I’m tired of using crappy drill bits that can’t do the job. Am willing to spend a little more for quality but don’t really know jack about bits. Went down the rabbit hole on amazon and was blown away by the cost of high end bits. Am a big proponent of US made tools and would really like to find something made here but wouldn’t rule out something overseas if the quality was good. Am looking for recommendations on a nice complete set from Cabers in the know. thanks!

I am happy with the big Harbor Freight cobalt set-
Be sure to use their perennial 20% off coupon. To stick with US made bits haunt yard sales, flea markets and auctions and sharpen the good bits you find. I'm really happy with the job my Drill Doctor does, BUT be sure to understand the instructions, follow them to the letter and don't force the tool. Taking super light cuts can take a while but even an abused bit can be brought back.

Last edited:
Good idea. But most of my problem involves lost or broken bits.

This is how pathetic my situation is.:dizzy:

First bone up on the types of drills for your needs and then look for the best deals. https://www.grainger.com/know-how/industry/metalworking/kh-which-drill-bit-does-the-job

I personally suggest staying away from Dewalt. Years ago the best I found at a reasonable price was Vermont American, but what was good yesterday is junk today with most things these days. A 30 piece drill index of HSS will cost half what the same index is for the Cobalt. I've given all the pretty shinny titanium coated drill bits found at Home Depot and Lowes a two thumbs down no matter what brand.

We do a lot of cast iron and medium steel drilling at work so HSS and an occasional buzz with a Drill Doctor is used for most of our needs.

It seems like every product has its reviews which claim that it performs well as well as the reviews that state that it is pure crap. I have a hard time trusting any online review. I won’t be drilling umpteen jillion holes through stainless steel, but I would like to have something that performs the way it is suppose to. Can’t stand when things live up to their claims. And buying things twice really makes me crazy.

If your drilling metal consider Cobalt, I bought a set of 12 at Fastenal a couple of years ago no problem at all.
If your drilling wood, I’ve used DeWalt from Home Depot for many years now and have no problem with them.
Like mentioned above get you a Drill Doctor learn how to use it and you’ll never buy another bit again unless break it.

If your drilling wood, I’ve used DeWalt from Home Depot for many years now and have no problem with them.

I've cut the heads off of nails and drilled holes in wood with the nail. Works better than a Dewalt drill where the drill screws itself into the wood but doesn't drill a hole.

These POS are junk and I actually thru them in the garbage. Good thing the boss didn't see me. lmao

1583722127266.png

Back