When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best find ever

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
My green Schwinn straightbar paint was flat until I polished it with Meguiars auto wax. Then it brightened and looked like a different color.

I wonder if these two red tanks are the same color and the difference is due to the effects of aging and weathering?

Right on exactly, as far as the tank paint.
The color i was referencing is the decal, and font, they are clearly diff, and the gils especially, different in the angle of cut.
It was the gils that made me look twice at the fine details of the rest of the tank.

I'm not a Schwinn guy, but I do observe the obvious and I'm always interested to learn something new. Maybe in the short run of the Panthers there were various Schwinn decals and tank styles made, I kind of doubt
it, but maybe.

Last edited:
Interesting tank. I have had three panthers with tanks and I have never compared the tanks. I have never even thought about them. Might search the archives here and closely look at the photos to see for differences. Would be nice to see some more photos of the tank in the sun light, also the insides of it. As far as the color, it might have been re-painted and clear coated way back when and looks old now. The Panther tank was re-produced by and sold through Maple Island years ago. I'm looking for an old Maple Island catalog that illustrated the re-pop tanks they sold. I purchased one myself but never looked at the gills.
The stamping on some the reproduced tanks was not as sharp as the originals, and I didn't think the "fit" was as good.
This is what makes this hobby interesting, I'm going out side to look at my panther's tank now......and i'll be checking some old photos.:)
I am going to edit my post here, cause I do not want to start a problem. I will point out that stuff did get reproduced back in the 1980s and 90's. and if someone did a really nice job painting it, and it's been sitting out in a garage and being ridden , getting some honest wear and rust on it and someone put the correct tank screws and horn in it, it will legitimately be an "Old" tank. Let's hear from the panther guys, I'm going to look at mine right now, if I see a difference ,I'lll be back......

Last edited:
Just checked an old catalog. The reproduced tank followed the original gill design. Here is a photo of my bike
IMG_2110.JPG

I thought that at first, but no. second photo is very close to the same angle. I'm finding a couple repop tanks with this off angle of the gills.

What second photo? If you were to rotate the one tank to see the exact amount of wing the gills are straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back