When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Frame to build a beach cruiser?

-
Well I guess that perfect is a personal perspective! Mine are far from show room perfect but in my mind have perfect heart and soul! Lmao

image.jpg

image.jpg

I want to build a cool beach cruiser. I was thinking S-2 wheels, block tires, 3-speed w/coaster brakes, stingray bars and a comfy seat. For cruising San Diego boardwalks. What are the best frames to start with? I have seen them built with Typhoons, Corvettes, Racers, Etc. I really don't know the differences in all the models. I like bikes with some personality to them as compared to a standard store bought bike. And I think it would be a fun project to build it.

I just bought a '62 Fleet but I am starting to like it kind of as it is. It is nothing special but I get comments on it every time I ride it.

Thanks!

I have a 1979 black Spitfire frame if that may be something you may be interested in?

I had a 3 speed coaster brake Stingray with a stick shift many moons ago though I have never heard of a 26" wheel with one. have no idea what the hub was but as I recall everything was Schwinn Approved.
It would have been a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster, same hub used on the 26 inch, the shifter would also work just need longer cable.

I ordered some parts for my Fleet and while at it, I picked up a 2 speed kickback hub and 3 speed SA hub. Next I will have to learn to build wheels so I can put the 3-speed hub on it. Well, not really "next" as I don't have a frame or starting point for my build yet. But I am collecting parts and the 3 speed is the plan. I will probably put the kickback on my Fleet. I do like riding it but the single tall gear is tough in boardwalk traffic.

Back