When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best glue for wood rim repair?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Because it is moisture activated it is really dangerous to dogs. My wife worked at a shelter, they had to save a dog that ate Gorilla glue. It took an operation and lots of money for that operation. The dog did survive.

Hide glue, already lasted for the first 100 years. I have some rims that somebody epoxied and I really wish they hadn't because it ruined the wheel. I've laced plenty of rims that have been restored and glued together with hide glue and have never had a problem.

How did epoxy ruin the wheel? I am not promoting the use of epoxy, I think waterproof glue like Titebond is much easier to use and if the glue surfaces are cleaned of ALL old glue, holds just fine. As far as hide glue is concerned, that sounds old fashioned and unnecessary to me, its fine to be authentic, but unless the rim is then totally sealed from future moisture, hide glue will eventually let go again. My experience has been with rod restoration, and nobody uses hide glue any more Todd

You can also laminate carbon fiber tape on the inside of the rim.

EE007DAC-14C6-4507-9406-77EB77CDBAB1.jpeg

09A011D0-E31E-4DFA-AB64-E5FC4D422068.jpeg

5C3C80E7-8CE3-4C5A-93E6-33F7A659D6BE.jpeg

BA008221-2955-4694-AD92-3EDD13F57B91.jpeg

I'd need to see a pic of what you're trying to do to give you an accurate answer but... I've been making my living as a custom woodworker for 22 years and I'd say titebond 2 or 3 if its an easy fix, or west system epoxy if you need more open time to get it all clamped up. I'm not at all impressed with gorilla glue and hide glue is not an option i would even consider.

Last edited:
I'd need to see a pic of what you're trying to do to give you an accurate answer but... I've been making my living as a custom woodworker for 22 years and I'd say titebond 2 or 3 if its an easy fix, or west system epoxy if you need more open time to get it all clamped up. I'm not all impressed with gorilla glue and hide glue is not an option i would even consider.

Been waiting for you to chime in here. ;)

How did epoxy ruin the wheel? I am not promoting the use of epoxy, I think waterproof glue like Titebond is much easier to use and if the glue surfaces are cleaned of ALL old glue, holds just fine. As far as hide glue is concerned, that sounds old fashioned and unnecessary to me, its fine to be authentic, but unless the rim is then totally sealed from future moisture, hide glue will eventually let go again. My experience has been with rod restoration, and nobody uses hide glue any more Todd
Made a really bad uncolorable stain at the joint which sticks out like a sore thumb. I have glue plenty of wood rims together with hide glue and never had a problem with any. If you are going to paint the rims some color then it doesn't matter but if you are going to stain them and clear them hide glue is where it's at in my opinion. Rims are ment to have some give and flex to them ,unlike furniture, if you use something too strong you could get a failure in the joint or it might become very hard to true. Also when you spoke the wheel it naturally pulls the joint together so you don't need anything ridiculously strong.

Last edited:
You can find carbon fiber tape and laminate to the rim. Lay dry onto rim and mark spoke hole locations and use a die cutting tool to make the holes, then laminate to rim.

Back