When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best grease

-
John, I've had it completely together and apart and cleaned and regreased 5 times. I road tested each time. I already fabricated a "cone locknut wrench". The manual says tighten the sprocket side cone until fully seated and then back it off 1/3 of a turn. Is that enough? What do you do? With the 1/3 turn back-off, I get a little play, but not much. Much more, and it gets sloppy. The sound I get is an intermittent light metallic chatter. Nothing is getting hurt, but I don't like sounds. ?????????????????
You adjust the free play like I explained in detail in post #18.

John

Does the metallic clatter happen only when pedaling? Chain-sprocket noise?

You adjust the free play like I explained in detail in post #18.

John
OK, great! I reread your detail twice and I think that is more or less what I've been doing. At the very least, your guidance is telling me that I'm not damaging anything and that is one of my concerns. I think I can say that the more free play, the quieter the run. I'll have some time later today to put it back up on the bench and review the adjustments. Maybe the "free play" piece of this is what's bothering me. I'm not accustomed to it.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kit

GT,
Only in high gear. I'm fairly sure the chain is not the issue.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Kit
Blue Band = Overdrive = has the planetary gears working in high gear = noise.

I would agree with the gear noise could be louder if the bearing adjustment was "too tight".

John

KP lasted longer than usual tonight, but it was worth it. I pulled the wheel, broke the cone locking nut free, tightened the cone all the way down........ and backed it off almost 2/3 of a turn, locked the cone with the locking nut, dropped it back in, tightened the axle nuts and gave it a spin.............................took it for a quick road test........................VICTORY. It ain't Shimano, but it'll make the neighbors smile. The horn sounds cool as a moose at midnight.

Thanks, Everybody, I'll send over a picture in a day or two.

This is my 1958 Phantom, the one you gentlemen have helped me with. The paint is original except for the rack. The rims are Hungarian S-2 rims we discussed in another thread. The fenders are obvious replacements and the fender light is a replacement because the former owner's son shot the original with his .22. I did the necessary body work on it but I was never going to be satisfied so I replaced it. I successfully disassembled the little slide switch so it works. I'm still getting a little groan and more noise than I really like out of the rear end, but she ain't caught on fire yet so I'm gonna let the big dog eat. I was out the other morning at about 2:00. A Phantom horn echoing through a retirement community neighborhood at 2:00 AM is about as good as it gets. OOOOH-AHHHHH!

1681440216857.jpeg

Last edited:
I like Lucas green grease, which is a "slick" rather than a sticky grease for most "regular" applications where grease is needed. For high-temp applications, I use Lucas tacky red, which happens to be sold in the same variety grease pack as the green. They're commonly available in the US and not very expensive.

Reactions: Miq
I fabricated a "cone locknut wrench" but I'd like to have a real one. If any one of you has a spare, please let me know.

I appreciate everyone's help!

Kit

I know old thread but the company that has reproduced the yellow band hubs also sell this tool. Its like $4-$5.
I don't have one and dont know its quality but it looks like the original.

I have two of the originals and one made from a rod coupling. The originals are tapered to fit the lock nut correctly, makes a difference if you have one that really stuck.

Back