When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best rattle can paint?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
If you put your mind to it...

I rattle caned this phantom....still looks sharp after 3 years....patience and prepping does wonders

Attachments

• MVC-047S.JPG
    MVC-047S.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 77
  • MVC-044S.JPG
    MVC-044S.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
Any recommendations for the best clear coat finish to protect my rattle can paint?

Would it make any sense to take my completed paint job to a professional to have them do a clear coat for protection since all the hard work is done? Or is that a worthless expense and I'm better off just completing the project at home? If so, are the clear coat recommendations the same as for generic paint?

Martin Senour paint is owned by Sherwin Williams and is SW paint. If you can find a SW Automotive store, you are golden.

Any recommendations for the best clear coat finish to protect my rattle can paint?

Spraymax 2K Clearcoat is a 2 part rattlecan high gloss clearcoat that has worked very well for me. It has a button on the bottom of the can the releases the isolated catalyst inside the can when your ready to use it, once the catalyst has been released the contents are good for about a day. It's not cheap at 20 bucks a can but the results are impressive! Its also very toxic, its recommended that you use a good quality respirator which I have, a paper dust mask will not work. It's also important you don't get any on your skin, like I said it's very toxic and deserves a lot of respect. I'm surprised that it's available it California.

This clearcoat seems to be the choice for motorcycle tanks due to its great resilience to gasoline. They also mfg other products that I have no experience with. I get mine at Coast Airbrush in Anaheim, CA they do mail order as well.

http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=380

Cheers,
JOE

I don't know if this qualifies as the best rattle can paint, but it certainly is good.
There are many colors that someone might find very useful among these various tractor/construction equipment/lawn mower/farm equipment colors that are matches or near matches for the various makes/brands' colors over the years.

There are many different shades of yellow, and tan - beige, and orange and reds too. You also have at least two nice green colors that I can think of such as (industrial # 94938 massey ferguson Green) & (industrial # 94903 ford tractor Green). There is at least one really nice deep blue that isn't such a dark navy blue, but offhand, I can't recall which manufacturer's color but you can browse through the twenty or so different manufacturers listed up on industrial's 12oz touchup spray can web page.
There are other colors that are among the offerings which match to these outdoor equipment/farm tractor/construction equipment but I cannot give an opinion other than there might be a color that you might be seeking to do some type of two tone thing.

These paint offerings are more expensive than the offerings at Wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, and Tractor Supply. At around $10 a can, these are still inexpensive enough and a decent paint. I certainly would not overlook the Walmart...etc offerings especially the 2X spray cans there in a wide variety of colors. My wife found a great PURPLE color there at Walmart that looks great on the old Schwinn Suburban that she painted and installed a new decal set from a seventies era schwinn SPEEDSTER, and chrome fenders from an old Varsity to replace the factory painted fenders. There are so many good spray paints at Walmart, Home Depot.....etc. I have used many of them. The paint quality is decent even on the cheap $4.50 stuff. Preparation is the key. You also want to let the bike frame dry for about 120 days or four months before re-assembly. The roof rafters of a shed, or the loft of a garage or barn in the Summer or late Spring when temps in the shed exceed 100F are very helpful to harden/cure paints like Rustoleum, but I think you still want to wait at least 120 days or longer for Rustoleum paint so that it won't chip or scratch easily. If you do quality pre-paint prep and are not in a hurry and use the absolute best 3m blue masking tape when you are doing multiple colors or stripes or designs, I expect you will achieve better than average results which will look far better than anyone would ever believe you could achieve from super inexpensive rattle can spray paint.

Back