When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best shot redux - bike photos - faber's cyclery

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Fabers was like most of these bike jumbles that had been around for a hundred years or so.
At first glance, you see a lot of 80s road bike stuff. So, you're thinking, there's not much here. But, as you kick around a bit and let your eyes focus, you start seeing stuff from the turn of the last century and everything in between, all mixed together in one big chaotic mess.
You had to dig through boxes and stumble in the dark basement. You would bump your head on what was hanging in the attic. Pretty soon you realized that just by kicking the dirt out in the yard, you would uncover bits and pieces of American bicycle manufacturings glory days.
The drawers of the old chests and cabinets were stuft to the gills with literature and more bits of the past. The tools of the trade for over a hundred years were scattered about everywhere you looked.
Overwhelming is an understatement. All things must pass, and I guess that's even true about Fabers Cyclery. The most prized thing I took from Fabers, was the memory I have of a warm Summer evening spent digging through the jumble with a bunch of good friends and cycling buddies. We didn't know it then, but that was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Then next time we would see the place, it had been gutted by fire.

Yes!

Yes! This is precisely what I loved about it. It was the difference between finding a survivor Panther with well worn patina and surface rust vs. a glossy, over restored Panther where you can't tell if it's a 50s bike or a new reproduction.... Faber's, for it's rats, exposed wires, top floor brothel, piles of bike parts as far as the eye could see and no-neck, rat shooting proprietors was the real deal... no mistaking it for anything else. Those types of places are disappearing at an alarming rate and all we are left with is the memories and stories about them.

When the folks who remember them are gone, I dread to think what we will be left with... but I'm thankful to have seen it, felt it and smelled it with my own eyes, fingers and nose before it disappeared forever, and thankful to share it with folks who remember it or at least respond & resonate to it. To me, it represented everything I love about vintage bicycles, and indeed everything old. It had that flavor that just cannot be reproduced at any price.

Balloonatic O-O

Stay tuned!

Stay tuned, I stumbled upon photos I shot at a well known collector's house in So. Cal who was one of the most prolific collectors of turn of the century bikes in the country. Sadly, he passed a year or so ago, but he is legend in So. Cal and you will all enjoy seeing what I saw at his place, I promise. I am off to Tuscany for a week but I'm excited to share this experience with ya'll, so check back in October.

Balloonatic O-O

Fabers

Had the opportunity to go there a few times. Recall in the 80's/90's seeing piles of bikes in the yard, and even up on the back roof when passing by on the freeway.
Stuff there was kinda hit and miss there. Here's some pics from a visit in 2003. I ended up with the three middleweights pictured below.

Attachments

• Fabers_1.jpg
    Fabers_1.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 229
  • Fabers_2.jpg
    Fabers_2.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Fabers_3.jpg
    Fabers_3.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 235
  • Fabers_4.jpg
    Fabers_4.jpg