When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best single speed coaster brake hub?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As of late, I’ve become quite the fan of the Musselman model M coaster brake.
Super simple, and really efficient.
But, the New Departure model D has been the one I’ve used the most.
Mainly because they seemed to already be equipped on most of the bikes I’ve acquired.
I like they way they look and have always had good service with them.
They are easy to work on, once you have the disk alignment tool, and have the best availability of replacement parts by far.
So that alone, makes it my hub of choice, just because I know, I can always service them whenever I need to.
It’s just a solid tried and true hub.

ND Model D all day long. Easy to work on, parts mostly available (including repro axle nuts) and great stopping power. Getting ready to relace a rear wheel with a spare Model D to replace an early Morrow as its stopping power is not great and brake sleeves are really hard to come buy and pricey when found.

Who has the repro axle nuts? I could use a dozen or so of them for the bikes I've got here and one set of wheels I'm building for myself. Most of my bikes all have just what ever I found, a few are pretty rough looking.
The same goes for new axles, I think I've got two or three good used axles at best and maybe a 4 sets of clutches left.
Years ago the clutches could be gotten from Nankai, which was an ND clone, but I seem to recall the axle threads were different.

He wouldn't let me pinstripe his rims, so I gave the hub a stripe instead. Now its a red stripe 70.

What gets me is that I doubt if the bike has but a few hundred miles on it, it appears to be still sporting the original tires from the mid 80's.
There was a green price tag looking sticker inside the rim that was marked ' Taiwan' as a header with 11-09-87 - 13:33' printed below.
They appear to be either a tint color sprayed over chrome or a really black chrome plating. I kind of like the look of the black rims and the super wide older gumwall tires.
With a 65psi max, they probably bounce like basket balls. They're wider than the current Goodyear tread knockoff tires they sell today by quite a bit.

Here's some better pics:

If it was for my own bike, I think I'd have spent one of the super clean RB2 hubs I've got on it, along with a nice set of alloy wheels.
It is odd to thing thought that these bikes from back then are already being seen as vintage though.

Who has the repro axle nuts? I could use a dozen or so of them for the bikes I've got here and one set of wheels I'm building for myself. Most of my bikes all have just what ever I found, a few are pretty rough looking.
The same goes for new axles, I think I've got two or three good used axles at best and maybe a 4 sets of clutches left.
Years ago the clutches could be gotten from Nankai, which was an ND clone, but I seem to recall the axle threads were different.

He wouldn't let me pinstripe his rims, so I gave the hub a stripe instead. Now its a red stripe 70.

What gets me is that I doubt if the bike has but a few hundred miles on it, it appears to be still sporting the original tires from the mid 80's.
There was a green price tag looking sticker inside the rim that was marked ' Taiwan' as a header with 11-09-87 - 13:33' printed below.
They appear to be either a tint color sprayed over chrome or a really black chrome plating. I kind of like the look of the black rims and the super wide older gumwall tires.
With a 65psi max, they probably bounce like basket balls. They're wider than the current Goodyear tread knockoff tires they sell today by quite a bit.

Here's some better pics:

View attachment 1585511

View attachment 1585517

View attachment 1585519

If it was for my own bike, I think I'd have spent one of the super clean RB2 hubs I've got on it, along with a nice set of alloy wheels.
It is odd to thing thought that these bikes from back then are already being seen as vintage though.
How times fly by when your Coaster Breakin it down the road of life.... Bad Moon Risen...

Back