When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best spray paint to simulate a chrome finish?

-
There is only one paint that will look like metal and that is Alclad. However, it’s very delicate and will not stand up to handling or any type of chemicals. It’s used for models to simulate chrome or natural metal finish.
Here is my 1/48 scale F84 painted with a base coat of gloss black enamel then Alclad is lightly misted to let some of the black show thru giving it depth.

2747907D-7952-4A5C-A5D9-4C1BAF65989D.jpeg

99187444-CF35-4249-A2D4-CE6E861ADED2.jpeg

You can see how good the reflective quality is simulating the metallic look very well.
Unfortunately, it’s very delicate and care must be taken when handling the model otherwise the finish will get ruined.

I had some corvette plastic parts rechromed and if I remember correctly he had to put a charge through the plastic to get the chrome to stick. Probably a negative charge. I tried the rattle can a few months ago and it was a shiny gray. My daughter had better luck spraying acorns and pine cones that’s what gave me the okay I can do that and the okay I’m going to use up her finger nail remover. Open up a etchacatch game board and it’s the same clean up. When they say try a test spot their not kidding. Post some pictures

The photo of that tank is amazing.....the best Ive ever seen.....by far...
Alclad gives the same effect and is stronger than the powder he used. Model car builders strip off the toy like chrome from bumpers and rims then spray gloss black followed by Chrome Alclad. This is the P51 drop tank looking like real metal chrome.
FD58360C-081C-4219-AF6E-C13D27822379.jpeg

I’m going to try the nail polish for smaller items. It’s probably durable too?

The key is prep. To get a true chrome look with paint, you have to paint the piece in black first. Then use the chrome paint. If you don't use black first, it doesn't look real. I have some old car badging that was originally plastic pieces(badging has been mostly plastic since the 80's).

The black and chrome paint I used was Spaz Stix brand.

Kevin

I had a minute today so I figured I’d try the nail dust on a real bike part (I usally use it on movie prop stuff). It’s going to take me longer to type this than it did to do it. I used a putter fork strut. I just cleaned the rust off a bit and went for it.

Spay it gloss black. Once the paint gets tacky dab on the nail dust. Once dry brush off the excess with a nail brush until smooth.

The surface was pitted so it’s not all smooth. I may try on a scrap clean metal tube to see how that goes

C181512B-15F4-4AC7-8CB5-0F43EE5172F8.jpeg

8D3F1B03-6C84-4971-A6BD-F554B1C6E0A7.jpeg

80C0492F-07C5-4151-9F33-B47EF1E38FDB.jpeg

C69D029D-057B-463B-8468-A4C9725765FC.jpeg

1A21B896-EEE7-4CBF-9FDE-97B68021BBE7.jpeg

Back