When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Springer Mechanism?

-

frankabr.

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm curious to know what readers feel is the best made bicycle springer mechanism?

By "best," I mean the one that most effectively gives a smooth and comfortable ride. Also, perhaps, the one that was easy to maintain and gave the least problems as well.

My personal vote is for the Huffy/Dayton "Dial A Ride" springer mechanism. It is adjustable and gives a really comfortable ride.

Let me have your input.

Best regards, Frank

It depends on where you live. Having ridden both Columbia and Schwinn springers in New England I would take the Columbia. The Schwinn gives a softer ride but with all the pot holes and bad roads here it bottoms out all the time. The Columbia has a much stiffer ride and can take the punishment. If I lived in say the mid-west where everything is flat the softer ride of the Schwinn is the way to go. I have not ridden a Dial-a-Ride, maybe that is the best compromise.

the shock master is the best I've used, very smooth. I was really impressed when I rode my whizzer the first time with that springer.

I have, and ride, Monark--both types, Columbia, Hawthorne (Snyder built), Schwinn--both pre and post war, and Roadmaster (CWC). My hands down favorite is the CWC Shockmaster as far as ride and stability. v/r Shawn

CWC Shockmaster

I've heard a lot of good things about that particular CWC mechanism. But Schwinn gets most of the press for their particular springer fork, not sure why. Also for their cantilever frame. Said Schwinn frame looks good, but I'm not sure that its any better than old fashioned straightbar frames.

F.A.

Shockmaster - I think she looks so (1941 Hawthorne American)( Dave's Vintage Bicycles )

194120Hawthorne20American20blue6JPG-1.jpg

Shockmaster

My Hawthorne "Shockmaster" springer beats the Schwinn type any day........

I Would say the huffy dial your ride fork is the best. I have had quit a few of these forks or bikes and wish I hadnt sold any of them.

It depends on where you live. Having ridden both Columbia and Schwinn springers in New England I would take the Columbia. The Schwinn gives a softer ride but with all the pot holes and bad roads here it bottoms out all the time. The Columbia has a much stiffer ride and can take the punishment. If I lived in say the mid-west where everything is flat the softer ride of the Schwinn is the way to go. I have not ridden a Dial-a-Ride, maybe that is the best compromise.

I agree. Columbia is the best!

Back