When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Tool For Cutting Cab Rubber

-

ridingtoy

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I was curious as to what tool works best in cutting old style rubber having a center wire for old trike and bike wheels? I was thinking a fine toothed razor saw would work well, but maybe there's a better (easier) cutting tool? Any information would be appreciated. Nice to have the best/correct tool to do a neat cutting job.

Dave

This should work.... But I usually use a serrated knife or hacksaw.

Attachments

• downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
    downloadvvvvvvvvvvv.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 90
A fine tooth saw I'd think would work just fine
this also might be a good tool: Lion Miter Trimmer

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking over my initial post, I probably wasn't too clear as to whether I was wanting to cut off old tires or cut replacement rubber for installation. I was actually looking for the best cutting tool for making a smooth cut on replacement rubber. I figure the smoother the cut the less noticeable the seam when the gap is closed up after securing the center wire. I have used a hacksaw to remove old rubber/wire.

Dave

Ahhhhh. For most of my fine cutting I use a Victorinox Swiss Army knife like this one. Very very sharp.

Attachments

• imagesKnife.jpg
    imagesKnife.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 72
These definitely look like some good cutting tools to have in the old bicycle workshop. Thank you for the suggestions!

Dave

Back